Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up TV remotes, a "Kill me" event.
RE: Setting up TV remotes, a "Kill me" event.
(September 29, 2021 at 1:49 pm)Spongebob Wrote: If you TV isn't too old, you can download an app and operate it from your phone.  Works much better than those old uni remotes.  Otherwise, you're screwed.

I think he still has a fip phone.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(September 29, 2021 at 1:50 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(September 29, 2021 at 1:49 pm)Spongebob Wrote: If you TV isn't too old, you can download an app and operate it from your phone.  Works much better than those old uni remotes.  Otherwise, you're screwed.

Up until a month ago, I was using a blackberry type phone with a non-touchscreen screen and physical buttons. No flip and no sliding keyboard, though. ^^;;

(September 29, 2021 at 1:50 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:

To be honest, I love rotary phones. 

I hate paying my  bills over automated communication, unless it is voice command. I am old, and so what. I have no problem with new technology. But I do have a problem with lack of human interaction.

Just today, I called up my storage unit, and if the physical person at that location is not at the office, the automation dumps me to a automated system. I fucking hate that. I have for years payed that bill physically in person, and even verbally over the phone with an actual employee who works at that location, and not a call center, or computer.

No, I am not sorry about that. I don't think new technology is a bad thing. But at the same time I also think we cannot, nor should push out all human contact.
(September 29, 2021 at 1:58 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(September 29, 2021 at 1:50 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: I think he still has a fip phone.

To be honest, I love rotary phones. 

I hate paying my  bills over automated communication, unless it is voice command. I am old, and so what. I have no problem with new technology. But I do have a problem with lack of human interaction.

Just today, I called up my storage unit, and if the physical person at that location is not at the office, the automation dumps me to a automated system. I fucking hate that. I have for years payed that bill physically in person, and even verbally over the phone with an actual employee who works at that location, and not a call center, or computer.

No, I am not sorry about that. I don't think new technology is a bad thing. But at the same time I also think we cannot, nor should push out all human contact.

Human interaction where your TV remote is concerned goes back to the 70s when your dad told you to change the channel and you got up and turned the damn dial.

Good lord, you've been drinking early lately.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I have an old black and white tube TV. I use it to watch old episodes of "Car 54" and " I Love Lucy".

(September 29, 2021 at 2:00 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(September 29, 2021 at 1:58 pm)Brian37 Wrote: To be honest, I love rotary phones. 

Human  interaction where your TV remote is concerned goes back to the 70s when your dad told you to change the channel and you got up and turned the damn dial.

Good lord, you've been drinking early lately.

My dad was an abusive asshole. But that is a separate subject.
(September 29, 2021 at 1:16 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I've taken college exams that made me wish I was being waterboarded or having bamboo shoved under my fingernails. But damned if trying to adjust a tv/cable remote with the "setup" option. The worst part is the timing.  If you don't press this or that button with in a nanosecond, the remote wont recognize your command. And you have to give the nuclear codes to get your cable or tv remote to work with your TV. 

What the fuck? All I want to do is watch TV.

There are few things easier than programming a TV remote, so I’m not surprised you’re having trouble with it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 29, 2021 at 2:10 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 29, 2021 at 1:16 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I've taken college exams that made me wish I was being waterboarded or having bamboo shoved under my fingernails. But damned if trying to adjust a tv/cable remote with the "setup" option. The worst part is the timing.  If you don't press this or that button with in a nanosecond, the remote wont recognize your command. And you have to give the nuclear codes to get your cable or tv remote to work with your TV. 

What the fuck? All I want to do is watch TV.

There are few things easier than programming a TV remote, so I’m not surprised you’re having trouble with it.

Boru

I like shiny objects.
(September 29, 2021 at 2:21 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(September 29, 2021 at 2:10 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: There are few things easier than programming a TV remote, so I’m not surprised you’re having trouble with it.

Boru

I like shiny objects.

No you don’t.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 29, 2021 at 1:46 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Ok, and the former guy won the election.

Why do you have to bring Trump into every single conversation, no matter the subject? I hate the guy too, but Jesus Christ, do you ever think about anything else?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(September 29, 2021 at 1:48 pm)Ten Wrote:
(September 29, 2021 at 1:33 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Not the point. In all seriousness, I love the idea of universal remotes. But it is still complicated, and and I am slow. I don't think even with modern technology it should involve everyone who uses it has to be Bruce Lee in response.

Yeah and I shouldn't be talkin. I got a Samsung phone recently after not having an iphone for 3-4 years and the Bixby bullshit almost sent me into conniption fits. I had to tap to first select each button or function I wanted to use and double tap in order for it to use the actual button or letter or whatever it was. And the first thing the phone setup made me do was setup a number passcode. It was pure hell. I'd select the first number, double tap it in order for it to type the number. Then I'd double tap the next number, only to realize, I hadn't tapped to select the second number. So, instead, I had typed the first sequence number AGAIN with my double tap because the first number was still "selected".

It took me forever to find where on the phone I could actually turn the souldamned thing off. Every once in a while, I accidentally push the Bixby button and it turns it on again, and another little piece of me dies.

Yea, that is suicide material. I don't even think Bill Bixby or Lou Ferrigno would touch that. I think they would would change the line "Don't make me angry Mr Technology, you wouldn't like me when I am angry".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We should have a forum event Foxaèr 9 726 August 31, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Homeschool Event Horizon The Grand Nudger 1 442 June 20, 2022 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Under no circumstance should cops KILL ErGingerbreadMandude 120 12658 January 7, 2018 at 8:23 am
Last Post: FFaith
  To kill a mocking depression J a c k 74 4840 April 21, 2016 at 1:24 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Someone told me to kill myself twice today, I don't know why it's been bothering me Phosphorescent Panties 48 5752 April 12, 2016 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Compelling Reasn to Strangle, Shoot, Stab, Poison, and Otherwise Kill You True Love Rhondazvous 13 3003 December 14, 2015 at 5:06 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  GS Warriors one win away from setting new NBA record for most wins to start a season Whateverist 29 4369 December 13, 2015 at 4:29 am
Last Post: Whateverist
Big Grin ROFL! Holy Man Tries To Kill Non-Believer With Black Magic (Video) Big Blue Sky 12 3693 June 10, 2013 at 12:49 am
Last Post: justin
  Don't kill the person above you Violet 38 9196 June 29, 2012 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
Lightbulb Yeah, I Could Definitely Kill You Cinjin 18 5230 April 28, 2011 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Cinjin