Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[Serious] Woman raped while onlookers did nothing
RE: Woman raped while onlookers did nothing
(October 17, 2021 at 12:06 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: It's apathy. I don't think this inaction is in any way excusable, but this shit happened outside Philly. People are hard. They've probably witnessed so much violence it doesn't elicit the same response as it would in one of us. Also, law enforcement is not a dependable "go to for help and help arrives" thing for everybody.

Furthermore, in some urban environments, calling the cops is not a risk-free affair. Shit can come down on you real hard for doing something like that. Minding your own business is a learned and environmentally reinforced behavior.

Again, not excusing it. Just trying to come up with "guesses why"... since "why?" is the question we're asking. I'm just as bothered by this as anyone else. Maybe even more bothered than some (since apathy involving sexual assault has affected me personally). But people already expressed outrage, so I felt no need to re-express it.

I wouldn't call it "apathy", but survival instinct. 

I don't think anyone sane is excusing it. I think it it is a matter of context and conditions. It is easy to armchair quarterback after the fact. 

But I do agree, humans in large volume concentrations, can get to the point of "minding their own business" for survival purposes. And it is the same instinct that caused lots of Europeans to stand down while Hitler was on the rise. 

On an individual case by case level, it isn't as simple as saying "they should have done this, or that". 

Long term however, I think the reason crime goes up, anywhere in the world, in big cities, it has to do with economics ultimately. The more neglected a large population is, the more crime one can expect to see.
(October 16, 2021 at 9:31 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(October 16, 2021 at 9:26 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Under what section of law?

The section that says “it pisses off LFC, therefore something must be done about it.” 😛

I'm still trying to figure out why none of the other passengers even called 911. I just cannot get my head around that.
(October 17, 2021 at 5:02 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote:
(October 16, 2021 at 9:31 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: The section that says “it pisses off LFC, therefore something must be done about it.” 😛

I'm still trying to figure out why none of the other passengers even called 911. I just cannot get my head around that.

Yeah, I don't get that at all. I can see myself being too chickenshit to risk myself for a stranger, as far as getting physically involved. Even saying something like "Hey! Stop it!" I might be too scared to draw attention. But I'd definitely be calling the police. If I got involved or yelled out it'd put focus on me and I could be in danger then or after. But the rapist might not notice me making a phone call and that'd be in line with my moral capabilities.

I find it a bit amusing that so many people object to people carrying guns ( I celebrated my 20 years of daily carry a month ago) -

But nobody seems to have a problem with someone putting a bullet into a rapist' s buttocks.....
(October 17, 2021 at 5:29 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: I find it a bit amusing that so many people object to people carrying guns ( I celebrated my 20 years of daily carry a month ago) -

But nobody seems to have a problem with someone putting a bullet into a rapist' s buttocks.....

I don't have a problem with people carrying guns. I DO have a problem with people carrying multiple guns and/or assault-style firearms so they can intimidate those around them.

I also have no problem with someone shooting a rapist during the act if that's what they need to do to stop it.
Dying to live, living to die.
Quote:I find it a bit amusing that so many people object to people carrying guns ( I celebrated my 20 years of daily carry a month ago) -

But nobody seems to have a problem with someone putting a bullet into a rapist' s buttocks....
There is a big difference between not having an issue with a rapist being shot in self-defense or in the defense of someone else and being letting people carry guns.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(October 17, 2021 at 6:46 pm)Helios Wrote:
Quote:I find it a bit amusing that so many people object to people carrying guns ( I celebrated my 20 years of daily carry a month ago) -

But nobody seems to have a problem with someone putting a bullet into a rapist' s buttocks....
There is a big difference between not having an issue with a rapist being shot in self-defense or in the defense of someone else and being letting people carry guns.

So while a rape is happening and the victim has probably been hit or someway subdued, while the rapist is on and in them, that victim should be able to reach for and ready their gun and shoot the rapist?

How exactly does that work?

Pretty sure the victim would appreciate someone coming to their defense, armed or otherwise.

You are arguing against guns just for the sake of arguing.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(October 17, 2021 at 6:31 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(October 17, 2021 at 5:29 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: I find it a bit amusing that so many people object to people carrying guns ( I celebrated my 20 years of daily carry a month ago) -

I don't have a problem with people carrying guns.  I DO have a problem with people carrying multiple guns and/or assault-style firearms so they can intimidate those around them.

I also have no problem with someone shooting a rapist during the act if that's what they need to do to stop it.

Done right, it might not yield much of an entry wound. Big Grin
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(October 17, 2021 at 6:56 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(October 17, 2021 at 6:46 pm)Helios Wrote: There is a big difference between not having an issue with a rapist being shot in self-defense or in the defense of someone else and being letting people carry guns.

So while a rape is happening and the victim has probably been hit or someway subdued, while the rapist is on and in them, that victim should be able to reach for and ready their gun and shoot the rapist?  

How exactly does that work?

Pretty sure the victim would appreciate someone coming to their defense, armed or otherwise.

You are arguing against guns just for the sake of arguing.
I don't think you understood my point or maybe I didn't word it correctly. So I'll clarify.

My point was there is no contradiction between being morally okay with a rapist being shot in self-defense or in the defense of others but still having an issue (perhaps not self-defense related) to people walking around armed.

Hope that clears things up
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Charge them with what? There is no law I'm aware of that requires bystanders to intervene to stop a crime. Correct me if someone knows otherwise.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More entitled white woman problems. brewer 62 2745 December 30, 2020 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: Aristocatt
  Woman Threatens Hispanic Couple BrianSoddingBoru4 20 915 July 3, 2020 at 2:22 am
Last Post: no one
Thumbs Up Washtenaw Deputy punches woman protestor in head onlinebiker 39 2906 June 5, 2020 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Among Matt Bevin's Pardons: Man who raped 9 year old girl Cecelia 1 391 December 14, 2019 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Pregnant Alabama Woman who was shot charged with Manslaughter of her unborn baby Cecelia 94 7288 July 3, 2019 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Bus Driver who raped 14-year old gets no Jail TIme Divinity 4 533 April 30, 2019 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Today in "Sell More And Do Nothing" Brian37 77 4360 April 12, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Shultz knows nothing, hears nothing, sees.... Brian37 22 1255 January 31, 2019 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  This year in "sell more and do nothing" Brian37 19 1395 January 24, 2019 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Today in "Sell more and do nothing" Brian37 29 2505 November 22, 2018 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Brian37