Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Climatology.
Climatology.
La Nina; Was reading about La Nina in AAP yesterday. Looks like the northern hemisphere is going to cop a bashing, with droughts and cyclones to mention only two things.  

Here in Oz, all I took away was a lot more rain for Australia, which is usually welcome here down south. The rain might not reach us, but the extra water in the rivers will. Might be few floods.***

I remember thinking as I finishes the article ; "It's a good thing climate change is a hoax or we'd be in deep doo doo"  Angel

*** From a beloved poet, Dorothea MacKellar (I July 1885-14 January 1968)

Below is a clip with Dorothea reciting her famous poem "My Country". It's the full poem, which I can't remember ever having heard before. The images are stunning. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5bNhQrKay0
RE: Climatology.
Yeah, we’ve been told to expect a warmer and wetter summer here as well.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't know if La Nina plays into it but today is the first day i have opened the windows because it's finally comfortable enough to do so. Usually the temps start to drop off some (especially at night) by mid-September so this is a month off. But then the heat of summer didn't start till a month later than it normally does. After the insane week-long freeze we had in February the weather has been very different from past years. I don't know what to expect for the fall and winter.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Warmer World = Wetter World

(I apologize if I am being simplistic here.)
(October 16, 2021 at 11:10 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Warmer World = Wetter World

Perhaps just smidge.

Not entirely sure the two go together.  Australia is the driest continent, yet has temperatures in desert areas of around 50+C. I have this perception that high rainfall is linked to high humidity, but I might be wrong

Within my lifetime, in this state the summer temperatures have increased  from an average of below 35C (90F)  to an average of around 35C, with a week  at a time of 42C  ( 107.6F)  and above.  Our summers have remained dry.  Only 1/5 of the state receives more than 10 inches of rain year.  Less than half of that has more than 16 inches.

Can't claim to understand much about the way rainfall works.  I was based in Malaysia and Singapore for 14 months (army, conscript). I remember the temperature a was steady 90F, and humidity always around 60% . Humidity at this time of year (spring) in South Australia is around 40%. This rises in winter up to 74%. That's when we get most of our rain.
Warmer world puts more water vapor in the air. It doesn't always drop where we need it too or in the amounts we like.

This can mean more intense storms, flash flooding, larger snow falls in some places, droughts in others.
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
What some people (Trump supporters) don't get, IMO, is the T-C feedback -- warmer temperatures means more CO2 going into the atmosphere, which means warmer temperatures, which means more CO2 going into the atmosphere, etc., etc. Such a scenario could mean that even if Humanity reaches a zero-emissions economy, we could already be in the very beginning of a inevitable and unstoppable death spiral.
(October 17, 2021 at 12:53 pm)Jehanne Wrote: What some people (Trump supporters) don't get, IMO, is the T-C feedback -- warmer temperatures means more CO2 going into the atmosphere, which means warmer temperatures, which means more CO2 going into the atmosphere, etc., etc.  Such a scenario could mean that even if Humanity reaches a zero-emissions economy, we could already be in the very beginning of a inevitable and unstoppable death spiral.

(Bold mine)

Yay!!!

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Not just "wetter", but more wild fires, more extreme fluctuations in night and day fluctuations in temperature, more frequency in flooding, more intense snow storms, thunder storms, bigger hurricanes/ frequency of hurricanes, more disruption of commerce globally, more drought, ect ect ect.
(October 17, 2021 at 1:38 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Not just "wetter", but more wild fires, more extreme fluctuations in night and day fluctuations in temperature, more frequency in flooding, more intense snow storms, thunder storms, bigger hurricanes/ frequency of hurricanes, more disruption of commerce globally, more drought, ect ect ect.

Ah. So I'm in error?  No link necessarily between humidity and rain? Does it mean that other extreme weather events such as cyclones occur when the air is hot and dry?

The US has wild fires. We have bush fires.  We even have bushfire season every summer beginning in early October.. There are signs along roads warning of the level of danger, from mild to extreme. On extreme days outside fires are not permitted anywhere.

On such days children are not allowed out of doors because they burn into little crisps and blow away. 

WOW! Really?  oh, of course. Would I lie?  Angel

October 6 this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n0CaTXIV4U