Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Wheel of Time (tv series)
RE: The Wheel of Time (tv series)
I watched the first two episodes and part of the third. Didn't capture my attention like I hoped it would but I may try again. Sometimes I have to be in a certain mood for certain genres.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Two episodes in and the rules of the magic system are not clear to me. As as reader/viewer, I prefer to get that up front, that way the outcome promises to follow logically. But that's just me as a hard sifi fan. Otherwise the Heros Journey template seems a little obvious.
<insert profound quote here>
I'm glad it's not only me. I've only watched about half of he first episode. Haven't been in the right mood.
I think you either like the characters, or you don't. I quite like them, and I feel we are getting to know them.

I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the magic system, or the different factions such as the Whitecloaks, Aes Sedai, and Aiel. I just want to see Rand kick some Foresaken butt, but that will probably not happen until Season 100. The books are so slow!
(November 5, 2021 at 9:48 am)Foxaire Wrote: Tolkien was okay, never got into Jordan, but when it comes to fantasy I really fell in love with Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.

Yuck!

(November 5, 2021 at 9:22 am)Spongebob Wrote: I can understand why people like books/movies like this, but they are all so derivative of Tolkien that I just can't enjoy them.  When I was in my teens I devoured fantasy books, but eventually realized that none of them stood up to Tolkien and every one of them were living off of his crumbs, so I shifted away from reading fantasy.

Much of Fantasy is about expanding a medieval world without losing its essential medievalness.     Science fiction is often about dreaming without constraint by any real-worldness.   So naturally fantasy is much liable to sound all the same compared to sci-fi.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horror TV series MR. Macabre 666 9 665 May 27, 2023 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Matt Groening’s new series: Disenchantment Fake Messiah 17 1406 May 24, 2018 at 11:01 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' book series Foxaèr 17 1948 February 21, 2018 at 11:42 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Just turned off the New Hawaii Five O series..... Brian37 0 347 December 15, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Question in relation to television series writing Foxaèr 1 732 October 29, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  TV Series themes from our childhood abaris 116 6824 August 21, 2016 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Amazon Studios Original Series ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 5 1911 August 10, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Tv Series Excited Penguin 6 1671 July 12, 2015 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: c172
  Game of thrones (HBO series) **spoilers galore** pocaracas 19 3283 May 8, 2014 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Divergent Series by Veronica Roth NoraBrimstone 0 1383 June 15, 2013 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone