Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Soda Battel Royal!
RE: The Soda Battel Royal!
Love to see all the Pepsi drinkers. Pepsi paid my mortgage as husband worked there for twenty years. Son has been working for Pepsi for over ten years now.

I drink sweet tea mostly. But if soda is my choice (I'm not a fan of most teas in restaurants) I order Pepsi if they have it but will ask for Dr. Pepper or root beer if my choice of a cola is Coke.

In the fridge now is Mt. Dew for husband, Pepsi, cream soda in glass bottles, and Cheerwine.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Diet A&W Root Beer.
Pepsi Max all the way for me. Not a fan of Coke at all, but funny thing, looking at the ingredients for Coke Zero and Diet Coke (Coke's sugar free equivalents of Pepsi's Pepsi Max), they seemed to be pretty much exactly the same, yet Coke Zero seems a lot sweeter, and thus nicer, to me. My very rough, and to be taken jokingly/with a grain of salt, theory on that is that it's deliberate to play into people's expectations about diet products; ie nobody trusts 'diet' products that taste too good... I know I don't Wink Whereas Coke Zero doesn't claim to be anything to do with dieting, just sugar free, and thus still aiming to taste good. Basically Coke Zero is much closer to Pepsi Max to me, than Diet Coke, so if there was absolutely no other option I would reluctantly accept Coke Zero as a substitute, but not Diet Coke... that stuff's horrible and I'd rather drink water Wink
(November 30, 2021 at 2:14 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(November 30, 2021 at 1:27 pm)Angrboda Wrote: I drink Pepsi, Sprite, A&W root beer, or A&W cream soda, depending.  But if I make whiskey cokes, I use Coca-Cola, and if I'm making Smokey Coke's I use Mexican Coca-Cola.  I also use ginger ale for whiskey highballs (no specific brand), and Topo Chico mineral water for ranch water (a tequila based cocktail).

Most of the time, though, I drink iced tea from a pre-sweetened drink mix.

Have you ever tried ginger beer? It's great for darker whiskey's and rums. Some people like vodka with it... but I'm not a vodka person. Also, ginger beer on its own is pretty good.

I like ginger beer, but I don't buy it very often. I'd never thought of mixing it with whiskey or rum. Any specific whiskey? Bourbon, rye, scotch, Canadian, Irish?

I also have a small supply of Crabbie's alcoholic ginger beer on hand. I like Reed's ginger beer, but haven't tried many brands.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 30, 2021 at 2:47 pm)Angrboda Wrote:
(November 30, 2021 at 2:14 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: Have you ever tried ginger beer? It's great for darker whiskey's and rums. Some people like vodka with it... but I'm not a vodka person. Also, ginger beer on its own is pretty good.

I like ginger beer, but I don't buy it very often.  I'd never thought of mixing it with whiskey or rum.  Any specific whiskey?  Bourbon, rye, scotch, Canadian, Irish?

I also have a small supply of Crabbie's alcoholic ginger beer on hand.  I like Reed's ginger beer, but haven't tried many brands.

I'm not really a whiskey person. The occasional scotch and that's it. So I can't recommend anything there.

But ginger beer goes great in Kraken or Captain Morgan. Other than that, Moscow Mule is the only ginger beer beverage I have tried. I used to work in a liquor store with a ginger beer fanatic. She had all kinds of drink recipes. But I forget most of them now. Google might be a good resource to find out about bourbons and such that might go well.
(November 30, 2021 at 2:47 pm)Angrboda Wrote: I like ginger beer, but I don't buy it very often.  I'd never thought of mixing it with whiskey or rum.  Any specific whiskey?  Bourbon, rye, scotch, Canadian, Irish?

Bourbon, or something similar. Add the juice from half a lime and top with ginger beer.
Not a heavy consumer of sodas anymore, but I do like Grace ginger beer and A&W root beer. If I'm in a food court or a burger joint and there's no coffee near at hand, I usually opt for a small can of diet soda (Fresca if they have it, otherwise cola - very slight preference for Coke over Pepsi, but I'll drink either one).

I did create a cocktail once called the Tipsy Goddess - Ginger beer and Scotch.
(November 30, 2021 at 2:24 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Love to see all the Pepsi drinkers.  Pepsi paid my mortgage as husband worked there for twenty years.  Son has been working for Pepsi for over ten years now.

I drink sweet tea mostly.  But if soda is my choice (I'm not a fan of most teas in restaurants) I order Pepsi if they have it but will ask for Dr. Pepper or root beer if my choice of a cola is Coke.

In the fridge now is Mt. Dew for husband, Pepsi, cream soda in glass bottles, and Cheerwine.

I have always preferred Pepsi to Coke.

These days I like their sugar free version.  Only but only buy it on special.   The generic cola sold by my supermarket for $1 is fine. Sneaky bastards just put  up the price from 75 cents. 

Here there is a ten cent deposit on plastic drink bottles .You don't see them as trash because the deposit is redeemable at special places. Single use plastic bags have been  banned for a few years.

Anecdote about Pepsi: My school had one of those machines which used water to keep the drinks cold. One Monday, somebody went to get a Pepsi and was confronted with a forest of straws poking out of the bottles. There had been a  big football match on the Saturday.
In high school, it was what all the cool kids were drinking at the time: Surge.

When I outgrew that phase, it was Sprite.

I haven't had a carbonated beverage in years, however.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 30, 2021 at 6:29 pm)Foxaire Wrote: In high school, it was what all the cool kids were drinking at the time: Surge.

When I outgrew that phase, it was Sprite.

I haven't had a carbonated beverage in years, however.

Gee, when did you leave High School?  I left in 1963. . At halftime at football matches, all the players were each given a slice of orange.

My dentist has told me not to drink any carbonated drinks, very bad for teeth. The dietician at the Diabetes clinic also said no fruit juices, except tomato juice. Most contain as much sugar as say a Pepsi.

" The past is foreign country; they do things differently there" L P Hartley

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant mode on. Royal Family Brian37 93 13237 April 29, 2015 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  British royal family = BORING paulpablo 48 15071 July 24, 2013 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Britain's upcoming royal wedding bozo 25 6474 June 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: bozo