Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm an atheist. Ask me a question.
RE: I'm an atheist. Ask me a question.
(November 27, 2011 at 2:08 am)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: Unfortunately, I'm an atheist. I do not believe I will see my loved ones after I die. I do not believe I will live eternally after death... I know. Depressing. Anyway, ask me a question. You can't have a "ask me a question, I'm an orthodox Christian" without a "I'm an atheist, ask me a question."
Hi The_Flying_Skeptic, good idea for a thread. I'd be interested in your answers to two questions to begin with:

1. What is your definition of "metaphysical naturalism"? (Given the variety of nuanced positions with that label your definition would help with any further questions.)
  2. What are the primary reasons you have for accepting metaphysical naturalism (as you define it)?

(December 5, 2011 at 5:41 am)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: Which particular truth are you talking about? You haven't defined the subject so cannot say knowing the truth would make you more miserable. Nor can you say that believing a lie makes you more happy.

It's a stupid question until you make it less vague.
No, it's not a stupid question and I wasn't more precise because I don't want this to be lost in details. But fine: you're wife cheated on you a great amount of times in the past. Is it better to know the truth and end your happiness or is it better to be ignorant but happy?

But you don't need all the details to answer my question: what is of greater importance: truth or happiness? Is it better to know all the truth and be miserable or be very ignorant and yet be happy? What do you think?

(November 27, 2011 at 7:47 am)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote:
(November 27, 2011 at 7:38 am)ThinkingTom Wrote: Would you rather there be some type of afterlife (Reincarnation Ect included) or are you content with none?

Afterlife plays a main role in a lot of religions just a question I ask everyone, personally I would love for there to be one but I can't force myself to believe in one without and credible evidence to back it up. Also, If reincarnation was true and you could pick what you come back as, what would you be? FSM Grin (Been wanting to use that smiley since I joined lol)

I would just like to be immortal on Earth and not have to die. I don't like reincarnation because all our memories are supposedly lost (for the most part). I'd like for heaven to exist. Sure.

Earth is where God is setting up His Kingdom. It will be here, not in some other plane of existence. The citizens of the Kingdom of Heaven will be immortal and possess bodies that are a combination of matter and spirit, where they have a tangible existence, but are not restricted by physical laws. For instance, Jesus after the resurrection was able to pass through walls, and appear and disappear.

Since you wouldn't mind living in the Kingdom of Heaven, my question is this..If Jesus let you know that He is real, would you accept His Lordship over your life?
(November 27, 2011 at 7:50 am)ThinkingTom Wrote:
(November 27, 2011 at 7:38 am)ThinkingTom Wrote: Would you rather there be some type of afterlife (Reincarnation Ect included) or are you content with none?

Afterlife plays a main role in a lot of religions just a question I ask everyone, personally I would love for there to be one but I can't force myself to believe in one without and credible evidence to back it up. Also, If reincarnation was true and you could pick what you come back as, what would you be? FSM Grin (Been wanting to use that smiley since I joined lol)

I would just like to be immortal on Earth and not have to die. I don't like reincarnation because all our memories are supposedly lost (for the most part). I'd like for heaven to exist. Sure.
"I would just like to be immortal on earth"

Completely agree, to me heaven sounds rather boring to just praise and worship some god for all eternity.

The Kingdom of Heaven will be on Earth, and why would you think it would be boring? Heaven is the creative center of existence..if God can create a Universe what else do you think He could do?
I have heard so many different versions of this heaven bullshit, it's ridiculous. The least you slimy little xtians could do is get together and get your stories straight. Ya know, like Constantine did when he and his gang got together and decided what was and wasn't the word of god...

(December 5, 2011 at 6:19 pm)lucent Wrote:
(November 27, 2011 at 7:47 am)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: I would just like to be immortal on Earth and not have to die. I don't like reincarnation because all our memories are supposedly lost (for the most part). I'd like for heaven to exist. Sure.

Earth is where God is setting up His Kingdom. It will be here, not in some other plane of existence. The citizens of the Kingdom of Heaven will be immortal and possess bodies that are a combination of matter and spirit, where they have a tangible existence, but are not restricted by physical laws. For instance, Jesus after the resurrection was able to pass through walls, and appear and disappear.

Since you wouldn't mind living in the Kingdom of Heaven, my question is this..If Jesus let you know that He is real, would you accept His Lordship over your life?
(November 27, 2011 at 7:50 am)ThinkingTom Wrote:

"I would just like to be immortal on earth"

Completely agree, to me heaven sounds rather boring to just praise and worship some god for all eternity.

The Kingdom of Heaven will be on Earth, and why would you think it would be boring? Heaven is the creative center of existence..if God can create a Universe what else do you think He could do?

I made the questions I'm going to answer bold lettering. The first question asks if I would accept Christianity if Jesus revealed himself to me. I would not accept Christianity if Jesus revealed himself to me alone, because I may not be in my 'right' mind, if you know what I mean. However, if he were to reveal himself to natural methodology, then I would. I would have many questions for the Christian god: Why evolutionary biology? Why no earth at the center of the universe? I would be interested in His response in terms of human reason. If a god created us and can do anything, it must be able to come up with a reasonable answer to those questions.

The second question asks why I would think that heaven would be boring. The idea of all that I'm going to do is worship something is boring. If I can do everything I could do on Earth in heaven, maybe hypothetical heaven won't be so boring. You should write a post on what you think heaven is or what your sect of Christianity thinks heaven is because I have heard so many different versions of heaven. Send me a private message if you do so I can read it.
(December 5, 2011 at 5:31 am)Emanuel Wrote:
(December 4, 2011 at 11:03 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: Is that a question atheists ask, Emanuel? That sounds like a question a theist would ask an atheist. The question presents a false dichotomy.
Yes, it's kinda off topic since it's a question from me to you. No, it's not a trap. I was just curious.

And there are only those two options. Is the truth preferable even though that particular truth will make your life more miserable or is it better to believe a lie yet be very happy and content?

I didn't mean that you were intentionally trying to trap someone into making a choice. I mean that there is an alternative possibility, a person can live in harmony with the truth.
(December 5, 2011 at 6:50 am)Matthaῖos Wrote: Hi The_Flying_Skeptic, good idea for a thread. I'd be interested in your answers to two questions to begin with:

1. What is your definition of "metaphysical naturalism"? (Given the variety of nuanced positions with that label your definition would help with any further questions.)
  2. What are the primary reasons you have for accepting metaphysical naturalism (as you define it)?

My definition of metaphysical naturalism is the world view of being more certain of that which has been demonstrated by science or natural methodology. Another definition is a world view that requires extraordinary evidence for extraordinary claims. One reason I have this world view is that history has demonstrated that the advancement of science has eroded superstition over time.
(December 5, 2011 at 6:19 pm)lucent Wrote: Earth is where God is setting up His Kingdom. It will be here, not in some other plane of existence. The citizens of the Kingdom of Heaven will be immortal and possess bodies that are a combination of matter and spirit, where they have a tangible existence, but are not restricted by physical laws. For instance, Jesus after the resurrection was able to pass through walls, and appear and disappear.
OMG taht is awes0me! I'm going to believe in god n0w so i can haz teh superpowerz!!!
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
Quote:The citizens of the Kingdom of Heaven will be immortal and possess bodies that are a combination of matter and spirit, where they have a tangible existence, but are not restricted by physical laws. For instance, Jesus after the resurrection was able to pass through walls, and appear and disappear.

Wow. And they say the scientologists are fucked up. You really have to go far to beat Lucy's little fantasy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New atheist.. question taylor93112 55 11827 March 25, 2013 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  If you have a question about god, ask an atheist Rokcet Scientist 34 8721 June 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  I Am An Atheist! Ask Me A Question! Kyuuketsuki 87 30059 September 3, 2009 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb