Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:14 pm

Poll: Competition or Cooperation
This poll is closed.
I am person A - Cooperative
85.71%
6 85.71%
I am person B - Competitive
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Competition or Cooperation
Competition or Cooperation
com·pe·ti·tion

noun
the act of competing; rivalry for supremacy, a prize, etc.: The competition between the two teams was bitter.

co·op·er·a·tion

noun
an act or instance of working or acting together for a common purpose or benefit; joint action.

========

Poll Example:

Two people meet face to face on a small island. Both are hungry, and therefore have a common need. Resources are few.

-Person A says to person B: "lets work together. Im good at hunting. Could you go out foraging for fruits and nuts while I try to hunt us some meat?"

-Person B says to person A: "You are on your own. This island has limited resources and I need to survive. Dont get in my way."

neither person knows the upper level of resources on this island
===

Please dont nit pick this poll to death. It is meant to be a simple discussion. Feel free to discuss the options though, but please keep in mind it is meant to be just a simple discussion.
RE: Competition or Cooperation
It's not that simple. How few are the resources, and is there, or can there be, enough to keep two people alive?

If yes, then cooperate, if not, then cannibalize.
(November 29, 2011 at 12:48 pm)Chuck Wrote: It's not that simple. How few are the resources, and is there, or can there be, enough to keep two people alive?

that information was PURPOSEFULLY not given to ensure not to change the outcome as you have suggested.

(November 29, 2011 at 1:23 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote:
(November 29, 2011 at 12:48 pm)Chuck Wrote: It's not that simple. How few are the resources, and is there, or can there be, enough to keep two people alive?

that information was PURPOSEFULLY not given to ensure not to change the outcome as you have suggested.

The chances that an survivable island has enough resource for only 1 person is very low, so I would cooperate until the resource bottle neck is discovered to be able to accommodate only one person.
I'd vote for both. I wouldn't tell someone they were on their own, but I would tell them that I wasn't going to give them any more weight in meat than they gave me in vegetables..lol.
(until such a time as the situation chuck described becomes reality..in which case...I'd rather not consider what I was capable of. Longpig anyone?)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I cooperate when it comes to work, and community.

I am competitive when it comes to fun, and things I take a great deal of pride in (that isn't to say I won't cooperate or don't enjoy it... only that I love little contests with friends).
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
competitive, i believe that competition stops people being lazy, cooperation is great within competitive circles though (i.e cooperation in the team)
(November 29, 2011 at 2:07 pm)Vaeolet Lilly Blossom Wrote: I cooperate when it comes to work, and community.

I am competitive when it comes to fun, and things I take a great deal of pride in (that isn't to say I won't cooperate or don't enjoy it... only that I love little contests with friends).

I think this is how the world should be. Cooperate when it comes to, water, food, energy, housing.

Be competitive when it comes to, TV's, chairs, beds, cars, swords, watches, things that are not pinnacle to survival.

Lets share the water and food of the island. But if I build a cool chair outta trees, its mine, but you can sure use it, or I can show you how to make your own.
People shouldn't have to compete for the requirements of life...unless we'd like to go ahead and drop the "civilized and compassionate" charade once and for all. Sustenance, shelter, medical attention and education should be guaranteed to each of us by the collective work of all of us. The rest is fair game for competition. My two cents.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 29, 2011 at 2:14 pm)paintpooper Wrote:
(November 29, 2011 at 2:07 pm)Vaeolet Lilly Blossom Wrote: I cooperate when it comes to work, and community.

I think this is how the world should be. Cooperate when it comes to, water, food, energy, housing.

Be competitive when it comes to, TV's, chairs, beds, cars, swords, watches, things that are not pinnacle to survival.

Lets share the water and food of the island. But if I build a cool chair outta trees, its mine, but you can sure use it, or I can show you how to make your own.

I like your answer the best.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russians lose global competition Interaktive 12 1082 June 12, 2019 at 12:38 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie