Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theist? Deist? Agnostic?
Theist? Deist? Agnostic?
Hello

I have been surfing the religious discussion forums and YouTube clips, I suppose with the aim of finding something interesting that might change or add to my own view of the world.

It is clearly almost impossible for any non-believer to have a useful discussion with anyone who has a faith in the supernatural. Even clever people of the stature of the late Christopher Hitchens fail. The faithful merely state the tenets of their faith, however ridiculous and parochial, as though they were facts. And otherwise clever and rational people, such as mathematician John Lennox, who holds the irrational belief that there must be a " mind behind the Universe " (on the basis that the DNA molecule contains complex information) offers no description of what he thinks that " mind " might be. (I think he secretly wants it to be a personal, loving God, but is frightened he'll look silly if he says so - which he will, of course.)

Instead of atheists trying to gainsay these petty, ridiculous and unreasonable statements with reasoned debate, which they do not deserve, I think atheists should adopt the tactic of the believers. Simply state the facts as we know them; let the theists, agnostics and deists come up with some reason for why they think the facts are wrong.

To show can be more effective than to tell, and satire can get more attention than dialectic, which is why I created this YouTube video to present my view of the place of humankind in the Universe.

See ' God says sorry ' .

http://youtu.be/Sa6jvdsXUZI

Let me know what you think.

Messages In This Thread
Theist? Deist? Agnostic? - by lacontrabasse - December 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Theist GaryAnderson 35 3630 November 1, 2021 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Hello, a theist Roeki 16 3820 June 25, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Smile Hi, agnostic here :) Erin27 31 3760 April 17, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hi, an agnostic here ... just agnostic. TheHuxleyAgnostic 47 4061 November 12, 2016 at 4:06 am
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Agnostic among Atheists doomed 43 9072 November 8, 2016 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Viocjit the agnostic viocjit 29 7257 September 30, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: c172
  Ex Christian, relieved to be an agnostic atheist SerenelyBlue 28 4359 September 7, 2016 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  Anti-theist here League_God 25 3709 October 6, 2015 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Weak atheist/deist here, hello! vixene 59 9218 August 11, 2015 at 9:32 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  I guess I'm agnostic? gubeym 19 3665 May 27, 2015 at 1:11 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain