Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My journey so far
My journey so far
I guess I started out like everyone else: not even being aware of the concept of God. Somewhere along the road, I must have been told about God but I cant now remember that happening. I got sent to Sunday School and got indoctrinated into Evangelical Christianity. At 13, I did that "Save Me Jesus, You Are My Lord!" thing, but my conversion to evangelical Christianity didn't last more than 3-4 years. My sexual habits drove a wedge between me and God, you see, and though I prayed and prayed and prayed and then prayed some more for God to purge me of my unclean acts, God did nothing. Except watch, that is.

Once I was outside of Christian influences, I began to wonder if this God I'd been told about was really what people said he was: kind, benevolent, just. Then I tried to reconcile that with the supposed ultimate fate of the wicked: eternal damnation, which to an evangelical is that burning-in-hell thing.

When I was 30 or so, I met some Mormon missionaries. They explained that the rest of Chritendom had got that stuff all wrong. They told me about their three kingdoms thing, wherein almost everybody got to live eternally in kingdoms of decreasing luxury. So I became a Mormon for a very short while, but left when that sexual habits thing got in the way again.

These days I'm still looking for an answer to does-god-or-doesnt-god-exist. And I've turned my back on Jehovah now. If he exists - and I really hope he doesnt - I think he should be opposed rather than worshipped.

Wasn't that Lucifer's battle-cry? Confusedhock:
The interesting thing about Truth is that Truth is still Truth even if the devil speaks it. The interesting thing about Lies is that Lies are still Lies even if God speaks them.

Messages In This Thread
My journey so far - by JudgeDracoAmunRa - January 6, 2012 at 12:35 pm
RE: My journey so far - by Erinome - January 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm
RE: My journey so far - by JudgeDracoAmunRa - January 10, 2012 at 3:08 pm
RE: My journey so far - by Napoléon - January 10, 2012 at 3:01 pm
RE: My journey so far - by JudgeDracoAmunRa - March 30, 2012 at 11:55 am
RE: My journey so far - by Faith No More - March 30, 2012 at 2:01 pm
RE: My journey so far - by padraic - March 31, 2012 at 12:02 am
RE: My journey so far - by JohnDG - March 30, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to Jewish Humanism el_presidente357 28 6764 August 9, 2015 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: McDoogins
  My journey to atheism squitten 23 5982 January 2, 2013 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  My journey out of hell. Poetess 7 3697 April 5, 2012 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: NoMoreFaith
  A journey from Christianity to Atheism snakeman21 11 5677 May 25, 2011 at 4:25 am
Last Post: Arcturus
  My Journey rattleshock 4 2494 July 26, 2010 at 7:33 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
  My journey to enlightenment (long-ish) srqhivemind 11 5311 June 10, 2010 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Samson