Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work.
Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work.
I used to be a Christian.

Every time people attacked me / insulted me about my beliefs, or said things in a harsh way, I ignored them and laughed at them, knowing that they were wrong. I went around calling Richard Dawkins a 'loudmouth' without actually having ever watched his shows.

That's why I was surprised when I did watch one of his shows and found it to be very gentle and permissive and persuasive.

I was a massive fan of Derren Brown and that's when I found out he was atheist. He too was very gentle and open-minded in his views, so it really struck me as odd that these so-called atheists weren't so bad.

I began to realize that the demonic aspects of atheists just...weren't there. Some of them were way too outspoken, but the nice ones did have a point.

The main reason I deconverted was because I realized it was very foolish of me to laugh at ghost-believers, psychic-believers, astrology-believers, Muslims and so on, but still believe in Christianity with the same amount of evidence.

This deconversion would not have taken place without the friendly, gentle tone that accompanied the people who made atheism clearer to me.

This is just a heads up to anyone who thinks shouting at believers works.

Messages In This Thread
Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by cdabamsworth - March 31, 2012 at 11:01 am
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Phil - March 31, 2012 at 4:43 pm
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Nine - March 31, 2012 at 11:22 am
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Nine - March 31, 2012 at 11:37 am
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Nine - March 31, 2012 at 11:55 am
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Nine - March 31, 2012 at 12:21 pm
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Phil - March 31, 2012 at 2:14 pm
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Nine - March 31, 2012 at 4:28 pm
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Phil - March 31, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God doesn't do anything Laura_opened_her_eyes 11 2425 October 16, 2016 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: Whateverist