Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 11:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypocrisy in the Hollywood portrayal of overweight characters
Hypocrisy in the Hollywood portrayal of overweight characters
It seems to me there's a huge hypocrisy in the way overweight male characters are portrayed and the way overweight female characters are portrayed.

With the male characters, intelligence is not inversely correlated with weight. The character can be somewhat often portrayed as obese and smart.

And with the male characters, their obesity does not always define their character. It's not always vital to their role.

With the female characters however, I can't recall a single instance where they weren't portrayed as complete idiots. And very often their weight is the sole point of their character. The only reason they exist in the story is for cheap laughs about their weight. I can't think of any significant (extras dont count) fictional overweight female characters in tv or movies where they were portrayed of even being of average intelligence.

This obviously is not consistent with reality and I'm disgusted with how prevalent and accepted this stereotype is.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).

Messages In This Thread
Hypocrisy in the Hollywood portrayal of overweight characters - by Tea Earl Grey Hot - February 10, 2013 at 5:09 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I hate biting my tongue with hypocrisy. Brian37 4 568 June 6, 2018 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Who Are Your Favorite Fictional Characters (tv, movies, literature etc.)? Kernel Sohcahtoa 93 8525 September 20, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hatred And Hypocrisy At AF BrianSoddingBoru4 124 20950 July 17, 2015 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Your top three GoT characters? Foxaèr 53 5346 June 15, 2015 at 11:27 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Religious hypocrisy...again *groan KichigaiNeko 1 925 October 29, 2012 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Spectrum
  Ann Romney's MS hypocrisy. Brian37 23 9708 September 8, 2012 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Favorite characters, and beyond.... Angrboda 66 29649 July 6, 2012 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Favorite Bioware Characters? Aegrus 26 9671 February 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Aegrus