Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Veggie Thread...for news items regarding ALL aspects of food production.
The Veggie Thread...for news items regarding ALL aspects of food production.
This thread is created to make it easier to put any food production news items in one spot. With the current alarm over food security and the useage of GMO I find many items in my news feeds that may be of interest to others on this forum....

So.....

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?Ne...bn1J5XKPzI

This is 2 years old.

UN expert makes case for ecological farming practices to boost food production

Quote:8 March 2011 – Small-scale farmers can double food production in a decade by using simple ecological methods, according to the findings of a new United Nations study released today, which calls for a fundamental shift towards agroecology as a poverty alleviation measure.

“To feed 9 billion people in 2050, we urgently need to adopt the most efficient farming techniques available,” says Olivier De Schutter, the UN Special Rapporteur on the right to food and author of the report, entitled “Agro-ecology and the right to food.”

I have put this in the Monsanto thread but thought it could also go here.

http://grist.org/food/look-whos-squealin...sick-pigs/

By Tom Laskawy 13 June 2013

Look who’s squealing now: GMO lovers freak over new study of sick pigs
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Messages In This Thread
The Veggie Thread...for news items regarding ALL aspects of food production. - by KichigaiNeko - June 14, 2013 at 1:26 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Veggie Thread v2.0 ...all stuff regarding food production KichigaiNeko 15 7617 May 7, 2014 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Food for thought, and thought on food. The Grand Nudger 1 1773 April 26, 2013 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  The Catch-All Botany Thread thesummerqueen 73 17424 November 10, 2011 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger