Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 'have', 'of' mixup...
The 'have', 'of' mixup...
Anyone else know about the following?:

Some people say 'could of' 'should of' 'would of' etc...when it should be 'could have' 'should have' 'would have'...weird huh? Its something thats developed over the years I think...or has it been going ages?

My guess is it probably started something like this: Because people short could/should/would have to could've/should've/would've...etc...the ''ve' bit is pronounced slightly like 'of'...and through sort of 'chinese whispers' of people with slightly different - or entirely different - accents...somehow ''ve' became 'of'... so people often type it like could of, should of, would of, etc....

Is this just nonsense? I've heard about this and observed it....

Finally, I've also heard this could 'of' etc etc thing has became the norm in some parts of the world....so in some places it is treated as correct english and even defended against could 'have' etc etc etc.

Trivial...but I find it interesting anyhow...

Like QI says: "Whatever is interesting we are interested in. Whatever is not interesting, we are even more interested in. Everything is interesting if looked at in the right way."

QI website:http://www.qi.com/

Messages In This Thread
The 'have', 'of' mixup... - by Edwardo Piet - October 19, 2008 at 8:18 pm
RE: The 'have', 'of' mixup... - by Rob - October 19, 2008 at 8:37 pm
RE: The 'have', 'of' mixup... - by solidsquid - October 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm
RE: The 'have', 'of' mixup... - by Edwardo Piet - October 20, 2008 at 12:13 pm
RE: The 'have', 'of' mixup... - by Kyuuketsuki - October 22, 2008 at 6:58 am
RE: The 'have', 'of' mixup... - by Edwardo Piet - October 22, 2008 at 9:15 pm
RE: The 'have', 'of' mixup... - by Kyuuketsuki - October 23, 2008 at 5:03 am
RE: The 'have', 'of' mixup... - by Edwardo Piet - October 23, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you ever tried to debate Christians that have no clue? Dean-o 39 8639 June 22, 2011 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: tackattack