Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism
Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism
This is a thread to discuss atheism related to gnosticism and agnosticism. Some atheists simply lack belief in gods, they do not claim to know if any gods exist (agnostics), others believe firmly no gods exist, they claim to know that gods cannot exist (gnostics).

I have a few questions I'd like to make to get started on this:

1 - Since we don't need to be 100% sure no god exists to be a gnostic atheist, how sure must we be? Is it reasonable to be a gnostic atheist? Has science disproved god or erased the possibility of god existing? Can we claim to have knowledge on gods not existing? Why?

2 - Is it possible to hold different positions according to the concrete god we're talking about? EG - In my case I'm an agnostic when it comes to the deistic god, but a gnostic (or at least I think so) when it comes to Zeus or Thor.

3 - Let's say I'm 95% sure no gods exist. Does that make me a 5% agnostic and a 95% gnostic?

4 - Would you generally describe yourself as an agnostic atheist or gnostic atheist (personal question, answer is optional)?

Also why are most theists gnostics? Why the hell to they claim to have knowledge on something that has no evidence?

There is no evidence for unicorns and most people will generally claim to know unicorns don't exist, since the possibility is unlikely and illogical. Could we apply the same to the god hypothesis and dismiss it on the basis that since there is no evidence (just like it happens with bigfoot, dragons, unicorns, etc.) god can't exist just like unicorns or dragons can't exist (unless evidence is presented on the contrary)?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Messages In This Thread
Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism - by Dystopia - August 17, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My conclusions about weak Atheism. Mystic 72 13686 April 5, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9358 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1384 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5896 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3021 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Everyone is Agnostic z7z 16 3383 June 26, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 25379 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3647 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Albert Einstein the Agnostic MattB 21 6130 February 23, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: MattB
  Atheist or Agnostic? datc 126 37176 April 6, 2015 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Pizza