Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs!
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs!
(May 10, 2015 at 10:00 pm)Exian Wrote: I don't know what you mean by "pickle" but I'm guessing you mean make it more acidic (?), but I thought lime would make it more basic??

I'm reading that I can't just blindly bring my pH levels up, because my hydrogen levels may be low, but my soil content may be fine with clay and magnesium, or whatever combination of minerals that are able to hold on to nutrients.

I'm thinking I'll have to get a pH test as well as a mineral content analysis. I know I have a shit load of clay a foot down, just from using the auger last fall building the pasture fence, so I'll be curious to see what percentage is in my soil. Probably a good thing to know. Damn, I just wanted to kill some weeds, not learn some shit. Tongue

It wouldn't actually make the garden more acidic..it's extremely difficult to achieve longterm change in soil ph as the ph is a result of a whole host of factors if, left unmolested by yourself, it will trend to regardless.  Vinegar will, at very high concentrations, topkill weeds (it'll kill everything thats not a weed even dead-er).  Trouble with that is that with no overgrowth to contend with the weeds will run rampant.  Basically killing off their competition.  If you want to effectively use vingar (or any topkiller) you have to run the knifes edge. You have to let the weed go to seed, dump tons of resources into the seed..then topkill the seed before it germinates.  That -could- disrupt local spread for a single year.  The horsetail will come back though..rhizomes - up to 20 feet deep...I shit you not.  Even scraping the bed might not work.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by Exian - May 10, 2015 at 7:46 pm
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by Whateverist - May 10, 2015 at 8:01 pm
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by vorlon13 - May 10, 2015 at 8:06 pm
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by Exian - May 10, 2015 at 8:49 pm
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by Whateverist - May 11, 2015 at 1:55 am
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by Exian - May 10, 2015 at 8:56 pm
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by Exian - May 10, 2015 at 9:10 pm
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by Exian - May 10, 2015 at 9:34 pm
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by Exian - May 10, 2015 at 10:00 pm
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by SteelCurtain - May 10, 2015 at 10:10 pm
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by Exian - May 10, 2015 at 10:15 pm
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by The Grand Nudger - May 10, 2015 at 10:52 pm
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by vorlon13 - May 10, 2015 at 10:57 pm
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by Exian - May 10, 2015 at 11:04 pm
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by Exian - May 10, 2015 at 11:14 pm
RE: Horsetail Rush? Help greenthumbs! - by Exian - May 10, 2015 at 11:42 pm