Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a childhood cancer survivor
RE: Ask a childhood cancer survivor
(September 19, 2015 at 4:59 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: Good stuff! Have there been any long-lasting effects from your illness or treatment?

Yes, likely more so from the treatment than the cancer itself. The biggest one as been issues with my reproductive system and hormones. Getting pregnant (if I decide to have kids) will be unlikely to happen without medical assistance, and I have irregular periods. I started going through premature menopause when I was 17; my doctor put me on birth control to stop it, and diagnosed me with polycystic ovarian syndrome. I've also had some thyroid issues, and struggled with obesity for most of my life. I had lost a ton of weight while going through chemo, so I had to put a lot back on to prevent other complications, and sadly never stopped putting it on... my parents were very concerned since I had no appetite at all, so I was allowed to eat whatever I wanted since I was such a picky kid. (My parents did their best to instill good habits, but a lack of knowledge was a hindrance in that area.)

I was prediabetic a few years ago and my PCOS was at its worst—I was at my heaviest. My doctor told me I was unlikely to live to see 40 at the rate I was going, since I was having obesity-related health issues on top of the late effects of the treatment. (My life expectancy as a childhood cancer survivor is around 60-65 anyway.) It motivated me to get myself into gear, and I dropped 75 pounds over about 10 months. My doctor told me that due to the hormone issues and thyroid problems, the effort it takes me to lose 1 pound is the same effort the average person would use to lose 5 pounds. Health is important to me, and I'm currently two weeks away from completing my certification as a personal nutritionist, and one of the things I plan to do is give services for free to those who need it but can't afford it, since I feel strongly that health shouldn't be a privilege.

After dropping the 75 pounds, the PCOS cleared up and my hormones and menstrual cycle are stable now, but I have to be careful to keep them that way. I've put back on about 20 pounds due to recent stress, so I've got 35 I want to lose still.

I also suffer from severe chronic depression, which I've been told is very common in childhood cancer survivors (and I would assume most cancer survivors in general). I currently have it under control, partially because I work hard to keep myself mentally and emotionally sound, and partially because I've learned a lot of foods I am sensitive to (I don't eat meat because my body is sensitive to the hormones in a lot of it, and I'm too cheap to buy the organic stuff—vegetarian is just an easier choice for me) that contribute to my mood and my physical health.

I'm also never allowed to donate blood, tissue, or organs to living individuals since my treatment was not FDA-approved back then. That makes me sad since my life was saved by blood donors and I can't pay it forward; but I am going to donate my body to science, so at least they'll allow me that. Smile

Messages In This Thread
Ask a childhood cancer survivor - by cosmowanderer - September 19, 2015 at 4:56 pm
RE: Ask a childhood cancer survivor - by Thumpalumpacus - September 19, 2015 at 4:59 pm
RE: Ask a childhood cancer survivor - by cosmowanderer - September 19, 2015 at 5:11 pm
RE: Ask a childhood cancer survivor - by Thumpalumpacus - September 19, 2015 at 5:15 pm
RE: Ask a childhood cancer survivor - by c172 - September 19, 2015 at 5:21 pm
RE: Ask a childhood cancer survivor - by cosmowanderer - September 19, 2015 at 6:10 pm
RE: Ask a childhood cancer survivor - by BrokenQuill92 - September 19, 2015 at 6:41 pm
RE: Ask a childhood cancer survivor - by cosmowanderer - September 19, 2015 at 7:12 pm
RE: Ask a childhood cancer survivor - by brewer - September 19, 2015 at 7:13 pm
RE: Ask a childhood cancer survivor - by cosmowanderer - September 19, 2015 at 8:08 pm
RE: Ask a childhood cancer survivor - by brewer - September 19, 2015 at 9:18 pm
RE: Ask a childhood cancer survivor - by BrokenQuill92 - September 19, 2015 at 8:30 pm
RE: Ask a childhood cancer survivor - by cosmowanderer - September 19, 2015 at 8:34 pm
RE: Ask a childhood cancer survivor - by Minimalist - September 19, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ask a Cult Survivor TwoCultSurvivor 14 2869 November 12, 2018 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist