Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I asked a guy out on a date...
So I asked a guy out on a date...
...completely on accident. Sorry for the click-bait!! Tongue

So I've been sort of mentoring this kid from my C++ class, he's a sophomore, 18-19 years old, a little awkward. Mentoring is a strong word, I've been trying to help him socially I guess, big brother style. Anyways, he doesn't have a car so I occasionally give him a ride to his apartment, and I make him talk (he'd be perfectly silent if I didn't...) about anything and everything. We were talking about the trans laws a couple of weeks ago and I mentioned that I identify as straight, but I am more accurately on the bi spectrum. I say this to set up what happened on Thursday. I was in Murfreesboro to lead a study group for our final, and I mentioned to this kid afterwards that I was going to to the bar to watch the NFL Draft and have a few beers. I asked him if he wanted to come along, and he looked really happy and said sure. We went to the bar, and I told him it's on me. (He's a struggling college kid, and I'm not struggling at all, so I figured it was the least I could do.)

I was totally oblivious. He never mentioned he was gay (or bi, as he tells me now) and he tried to hold my hand. I have mentioned how oblivious I am to flirting in general, I guess I missed a whole lot of cues. I was just trying to be friendly, but hindsight being 20/20 and all, I see where I sent a lot of mixed signals. I feel so bad for him. I can only imagine how much guts it must have taken to hold a guy's hand in a sports bar in Middle Tennessee. It was a college bar, but still, there's no shortage of dude-bros here. Also, it's apparent that he's been crushing on me for months. I missed a lot of signals. I really only asked him to go because I thought he'd say no, he literally has zero interest in sports, and only the most idiotic fans (read: ya boi) would sit and watch the NFL Draft. Yeah, signal right in the face. Still missed it.

Now, I don't know what to do. I want to reach out and tell him he's okay, but I don't want to prolong an awkward situation for him if he's too embarrassed to talk about it. Luckily I didn't react poorly, I just said "oh, no, I'm so sorry." Damn.

What would you do?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Messages In This Thread
So I asked a guy out on a date... - by SteelCurtain - April 30, 2016 at 8:03 am
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by Regina - April 30, 2016 at 8:25 am
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by SteelCurtain - April 30, 2016 at 9:01 am
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by J a c k - April 30, 2016 at 10:07 am
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by Athene - April 30, 2016 at 4:55 pm
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by IATIA - April 30, 2016 at 6:21 pm
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by brewer - April 30, 2016 at 6:44 pm
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by rexbeccarox - April 30, 2016 at 7:32 pm
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by Alex K - April 30, 2016 at 7:41 pm
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by Athene - May 1, 2016 at 12:47 am
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by Foxaèr - May 1, 2016 at 12:53 am
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by Foxaèr - May 1, 2016 at 12:56 am
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by robvalue - May 1, 2016 at 2:40 am
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by ignoramus - May 1, 2016 at 6:00 am
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by Losty - May 8, 2016 at 11:13 pm
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by Losty - May 8, 2016 at 11:28 pm
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by Losty - May 8, 2016 at 11:33 pm
RE: So I asked a guy out on a date... - by Regina - May 8, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conversations with the big guy Angrboda 18 1499 December 2, 2021 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Is this the same guy? chimp3 8 682 May 31, 2021 at 12:33 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Anyone remember this crock guy? Brian37 5 525 June 29, 2020 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  this is it up date! Drich 2 506 June 3, 2020 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? Drich 120 10759 February 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  I asked a girl out.... Mystic 51 4459 March 30, 2018 at 3:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  I need some good first date questions Seraphina 86 10370 October 5, 2017 at 7:02 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Dating - Could you date a religious person? Regina 48 7650 November 8, 2016 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Elskidor
  My doctor asked me to pray. Jehanne 146 17935 April 3, 2016 at 6:20 am
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Would you date a Muslim? KUSA 50 7285 December 2, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: brewer