Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ocd scrupulosity
RE: ocd scrupulosity
I struggled with scrupulosity for most of my time as a believing Mormon. I had OCD in other ways, like washing my hands and checking locks, but scrupulosity was the worst of it for me. I could prove to myself that the door was locked and that I didn't need to check it again, or that washing my hands for 20 seconds was as effective as washing for 20 minutes, but I could never prove to myself that I didn't commit a sin. My scrupulosity finally went away when I left Mormonism.

If you have OCD, the book "Brain Lock" by Jeffery Schwartz is very effective. Scrupulosity is harder, but I hear that Acceptance and Commitment Therapy works for it. John Dehlin, a Mormon psychologist, has done some interesting research with scrupulosity.

Messages In This Thread
ocd scrupulosity - by WolfsChild - September 19, 2016 at 6:32 pm
RE: ocd scrupulosity - by brewer - September 19, 2016 at 10:26 pm
RE: ocd scrupulosity - by InquiringMind - September 20, 2016 at 1:05 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dealing with religious OCD Jake 6 1663 July 6, 2019 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Scrupulosity and being an atheist WolfsChild 15 3561 June 17, 2016 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: WolfsChild
  Being an OCD atheist is not easy Beta Ray Bill 9 7647 July 12, 2013 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Beta Ray Bill