Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dividing by variable when solving algebraic equation
Dividing by variable when solving algebraic equation
I know for all you math masters out there, this is basic stuff. But for people like me, it used to baffle me a little how dividing by a variable could sometimes lead to an incomplete solution set when solving an equation.

Consider the following for example:

x(x+1) = 0

The recommended approach to solving this is to use the zero factor property, leading to the solution set {-1, 0} for x.

But suppose, instead, you divided both sides by x, cancelling out the standalone x's on the left side of the equation. Then you're left with just:

x+1 = 0 which can only lead to the unique solution of -1 for x.
0 is no longer a solution.

I actually searched online for a website that could clearly explained why this happened, but couldn't find one. Maybe I used the wrong search keywords or something.

Anyway, I figured it out yesterday why this happens.

When you divide both sides of the original equation by x, the equation actually changes (meaning: it becomes a different equation with a different solution set for x).

Before dividing the equation by x, 0 was clearly one of the solutions.

But when you divide by x, 0 can no longer be a solution because then that would mean you were dividing by 0 in the case of x = 0! Division by 0 cannot work so x = 0 stops being a solution, and only -1 becomes the acceptable solution.

So rule of thumb when it comes to solving algebraic equations:

Don't divide by the variable when you have the option of using the zero factor property. Or you may end up with an incomplete answer.

I feel so happy finally getting this after all this time.

Messages In This Thread
Dividing by variable when solving algebraic equation - by Grandizer - October 25, 2016 at 3:35 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Solving a system of two trigonometric equations FlatAssembler 20 1568 August 9, 2023 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  How to solve this equation? FlatAssembler 51 4826 April 7, 2022 at 7:20 am
Last Post: brewer
  Solve this simple equation (help pls) ErGingerbreadMandude 46 7637 December 7, 2017 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Improving problem solving. RozKek 17 3615 January 10, 2017 at 9:51 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  The role of probability in solving the Monty Hall problem Excited Penguin 209 12347 March 15, 2016 at 4:30 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Particular Solution to Differential Equation The_Flying_Skeptic 28 3629 November 6, 2015 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
Question Dividing by zero Tea Earl Grey Hot 77 21544 January 18, 2015 at 12:31 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Relativistic rocket equation question thingy Sejanus 8 2760 December 6, 2013 at 7:07 am
Last Post: Sejanus
  Man refuses a check for a million for solving one of the hardest math problems. leo-rcc 12 5723 March 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: tavarish