Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My son wants the impossible to get Nintendo Classic
My son wants the impossible to get Nintendo Classic
I'm not spending $200-$300 on eBay to get this thing.  Hell, I had already decided I wasn't spending $60 on it.  Way too much for 30 old games and zero possibility of future upgrades or new features/games.

What I got him instead was a Retropie setup.  Yeah, it's $30 more, but instead of 30 games it's more like 3,000,000 (probably millions more, don't feel like looking it up and mathing) games you can put on it.  Instead of NES it's ANY old system it can emulate.  A $10 controller and a few ROM downloads and he can have a whole new(ish) emulated system.

I did some checking and this was actually a pretty good deal.  Raspberry Pi 3b was about $35, the case about $7, the power supply about $10, the controllers about $7 each, the SD card about $17 (for a card twice this size, but not sure if it was 100% compatible as that seems to be touchy).  That's already $83 and this also comes with the HDMI cable and qualified for free shipping, individual parts might not.  It also comes with Retropie already installed on the card, saving me 10 minutes plus whatever time it would have taken me to research and download it and the software I needed to put it on the card.

It's coming in Thursday.  I'll put it together if necessary, do any setup, copy over any ROMs, test it, put it back in the box and wrap it.  I expect to spend 30 minutes or less on the project since the legwork is already done, though if it has an outdated version of Retropie I might redo it with the latest version.

It was the "one thing" he wanted for Christmas and he doesn't think he's getting it because it's just not realistically available.  I think he'll be happy with what he gets instead.
Have you ever noticed all the drug commercials on TV lately?  Why is it the side effects never include penile enlargement or super powers?
Side effects may include super powers or enlarged penis which may become permanent with continued use.  Stop taking Killatol immediately and consult your doctor if you experience penis enlargement of more than 3 inches, laser vision, superhuman strength, invulnerability, the ability to explode heads with your mind or time travel.  Killatoll is not for everyone, especially those who already have convertibles or vehicles of ridiculous size to supplement penis size.

Messages In This Thread
My son wants the impossible to get Nintendo Classic - by Asmodee - December 12, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android on the Nintendo Switch Mechaghostman2 0 497 August 18, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  When American Nintendo Fans hate Sonic Docto021 0 375 May 6, 2019 at 5:16 am
Last Post: Docto021
  Help me with Nintendo Switch game choice bennyboy 26 2106 December 27, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Opinions on the NES & SNES Classic? ƵenKlassen 9 1415 December 8, 2017 at 3:21 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Nintendo! ScienceAf 17 2955 August 26, 2017 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Nintendo Switch Chad32 31 5396 August 8, 2017 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Nintendo Switch Faith No More 27 2444 October 21, 2016 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Favorite Nintendo DS Games? Mechaghostman2 3 1332 December 4, 2015 at 9:52 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Should I buy a nintendo 3DS XL? paulpablo 6 1207 November 8, 2015 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Hundreds of classic computer games free to play at archive.org Ryantology 14 3220 January 11, 2015 at 5:35 am
Last Post: pocaracas