Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trumpism has xtian support because of what DeVos represents
Trumpism has xtian support because of what DeVos represents
All this time I've been in shock that so many xtians are so strongly in support of Trump in spite of his seemingly un-xtian values.  But I just realized how essentially unfair it must feel to them to be taxed to support public education when so many feel the necessity to home school their kids for fear of losing them to secularism.  From my own point of view, my reaction has been: tough, that is the price of remaining in the bronze age.  But it isn't too hard to realize why from their point of view it would be easy to support a political strong man who would push aside the rational reasons for the status quo and simply redress what feels unfair to them. 

From a secular viewpoint (mine at least) xtian's fear of education leading to godlessness is just the burden of promoting a lifestyle which requires indoctrination.

DeVos speaks publicly in support of getting god back in the schools.  This is where Trump's nativism dovetails with this assault on public education.  Rather than sort through the complexities of providing every variety of indoctrination to every religious group in order to avoid the corrosive effects of a secular education, Trumpites insist America is Christian - one nation under god, yada yada yada.  

Vouchers is the method for subsidizing any form of religious indoctrination with the same tax money which currently supports only the secular education which they find corrosive to the continuation of their culture through their children.  It isn't hard to see the appeal.  This movement will bring out in xtians the same desire to see 'god's kingdom' realized on earth that also fuels the desire among muslims for Sharia law.  Of course xtians either don't see that or don't see them as equivalent.  Trump's answer is nativism.

But a key element of Trumpism is the insistence that every problem has a simple solution.  I don't imagine that a true conservative would welcome this turn of events, but the republican party has allied themselves with the xtian right.  Together they form a coalition of those whose well-being is tied to preserving income inequality with those who see their cultural survival as requiring government sanctioned indoctrination.

What a nightmare.

Messages In This Thread
Trumpism has xtian support because of what DeVos represents - by Whateverist - February 26, 2017 at 9:01 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UBI support Poll neil 58 2627 April 1, 2024 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  J.R.R Tolkien historical support of Franco of Spain, whats your view on it? Woah0 2 475 August 14, 2022 at 8:12 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Bush V Gore and Florida and Trumpism. Brian37 30 2349 August 1, 2021 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Concert in support of Biden campaign Foxaèr 8 533 October 25, 2020 at 5:07 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Most British voters support violence on brexit downbeatplumb 17 1466 October 30, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Incest should be legal because homosexuality is Rein83 52 5725 August 6, 2019 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: viocjit
  Who do you support? WinterHold 13 1434 June 26, 2019 at 9:58 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  True Enough - Because Jesus Is An Embarrassment To Them Minimalist 8 1158 November 22, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  Democrats Say Don't Support Independents Except... ReptilianPeon 0 388 October 7, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Betsy Devos - Crooked Cunt Minimalist 7 1221 August 13, 2018 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Chad32