Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
morality is subjective and people don't have free will
morality is subjective and people don't have free will
There's been a few threads recently about free will and morality, so my apologies for starting another one. The thing is, they got me curious about something so I wanted to ask you guys. 

So first of all, 2 things:

1. It seems many of you hold the opinion that morality is subjective. Meaning there is no real, set in stone, right or wrong. Basically, if one person thinks a particular act is good, and another person thinks that same act is bad, nether one of these 2 people is actually correct. It's all just a matter of opinion, like one person thinking red is the best color and another thinking blue is. 

2. It also seems many of you hold the opinion that people don't actually have free will. Their acts are purely a result of circumstances and are not freely chosen. Basically the person could not have acted any differently because their action was only a result of their own inherent nature and whatever circumstances put them in the position to commit that act.

So my question is this... for those who feel both these things are true - if there is no real right or wrong, and if people don't have the freedom to choose their behavior - then why do you get angry about people acting (or thinking) any certain way? After all, not only is there no right or wrong anyway, but these people don't even choose to act as they do. 

So how can you justify being angry at the person who rapes, kills, steals, lies, cheats, is conservative, is religious, likes Trump, IS Trump, etc etc? Am I missing something?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Messages In This Thread
morality is subjective and people don't have free will - by Catholic_Lady - May 15, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stuff you have done (that most people haven' t) onlinebiker 54 4097 October 4, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Should poor people have kids? BrokenQuill92 78 5347 November 29, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Not another morality post!! Mechaghostman2 5 751 February 18, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you have friends who don’t share your political views? Losty 13 1772 November 19, 2018 at 12:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 993 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  Cordless headphones, I don't have the words... Gawdzilla Sama 9 1475 July 9, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Dreaming is free,.....and evidence free... Brian37 6 995 October 2, 2017 at 4:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How Long Does Someone Have to be Dead Before People stop Referring to them as Late? Rhondazvous 10 3088 May 18, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Have our lizard people overlords gotten lazy, or arrogant? CapnAwesome 5 1307 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know" ErGingerbreadMandude 24 3905 January 25, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA