Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do Christians want to go to Heaven?
Why do Christians want to go to Heaven?
Really why do Christians desire so much to go to Heaven? Aside from disturbing nature of God whom they always rationalize to be actually good and ignore his crimes.

I mean if you take Bible as an authority then really why would anyone in their right mind want to go there when Bible describes it as loathsome and messed up? For instance Revelation 12:7 says there was war in heaven. If a war occurs there it's not a a perfect place and if it happened before why couldn't it occur again? More over, why would anyone seek to enter a realm in which war is a possibility, when that is what nearly all people are trying to avoid? If war is possible in heaven, why wouldn't all other nefarious activities be equally plausible? After all, it would be hard to imagine a war without lying, stealing, cheating, brutality, killing, inhumanity, and all the other activities we have all grown so accustomed to in bad parts of this world.
Then it goes on in Revelation 19:14 says, The armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses. Again, we have the incongruity of war in heaven. Matthew 11:12 says, From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence and the violent take it by force. Suffering and violence in what Christian patriarch here call a perfect place?

Then in Matthew Heaven is described as place of inequality and levels of status. Read it for yourself Matthew 11:11 He that is least in the Kingdom of heaven is greater than he. or many other places Revelation 22:12 My reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be This rewarding certainly doesn't occur here, since this world is not the locale, and there is no biblical basis for an intermediate stage, such as purgatory.
Apparently it occurs in heaven. If so, does that mean some people in heaven will have six Cadillacs while others will have a Yugo?

Then Matthew 16:19 describes Heaven as a totalitarian place: I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven.
How could people be bound or restrained in a perfect place of freedom? But, then again, perhaps it isn't that free?

Then Jesus says that Heaven is not going to last very long Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. Heaven will pass away? Why seek a place that will eventually vanish and how can one spend eternity there? It's certainly not utopia when it is compared to leaven like in Matthew and Luke which goes The Kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened. I mean if you know Bible you know leaven is used as nefarious addition, a pollutant, a corruption, and for heaven to be compared to leaven diminishes its attraction immensely. Luke 12:1 He began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy or 1 Corinthians 5:6 Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?

Also the last nail of any credibility that Heaven can be a good place comes from a a parable in Matthew 20:1-16 that demonstrates that heaven is the antithesis of justice in action. In the parable estate owner went out and hired some workers for his field for one denarius per day. Three, six, nine, and eleven hours later he hired additional workers. Yet everyone received the same amount of money that evening. Those who worked the entire day protested. But he replied to one of them, 'Friend, I am doing you no wrong; did you not agree with me for a denarius? Take what belongs to you, and go; I choose to give to this last as I give to you. Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me?' If that is heaven, Christians are pursuing the kind of environment that's all too prevalent on earth today.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Messages In This Thread
Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? - by Fake Messiah - May 31, 2017 at 4:00 am
RE: Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? - by Drich - May 31, 2017 at 9:38 am
RE: Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? - by Drich - June 1, 2017 at 3:13 pm
RE: Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? - by Drich - June 2, 2017 at 11:29 am
RE: Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? - by Drich - June 5, 2017 at 9:38 am
RE: Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? - by Chad32 - May 31, 2017 at 10:13 am
RE: Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? - by Athene - May 31, 2017 at 12:48 pm
RE: Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? - by Cecelia - June 10, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13066 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Is there free will in Heaven? zwanzig 54 4447 April 12, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  didnt want to necropost: what completing the law means. Drich 18 1296 May 12, 2020 at 10:51 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] What would you want in a church tackattack 44 3737 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7798 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17565 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4754 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3921 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Eternity in Heaven - Scary? JairCrawford 47 5458 July 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Theists - I want to know what you think LadyForCamus 77 10231 May 14, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet