Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Westborough Baptist Church - free speech.
Westborough Baptist Church - free speech.
I wanted to make some kind of thread about this Joe Rogan video anyway, my original idea for a thread was much less subtle and specific than this one and was just going to be titled "If you don't like the Joe Rogan podcast wtf is wrong with you?"

Even if you don't like him he always tends to get something interesting out of his hundreds of interesting guests.

The guest in this video is Megan Phelps Roper, a former member of the Westborough Baptist Church who's now an atheist.

The whole interview is very interesting but in particular one part at 1:15:25.

The conversation is about free speech and Joe Rogan is saying that if a group has provocative things to say then they should pay for their own security rather than rely on the police who are payed for by tax dollers.

Megan Phelps disagrees and says that the law of freedom of speech is put there in order to protect unpopular speech because popular speech doesn't need protecting.

I completely agree with Megan Phelps, and I think Joe Rogan was ridiculous when he also makes the claim that he can still see some element of her mind being stuck inside the cult of the church because of what she's saying about their freedom of speech even if he is only making a joke out of it sort of.

But I do see where Joe Rogan is coming from in the sense that law protection is based on limited resources and it's possibly understandable that the police would be honest and say we can't protect you from everyone who's going to beat the shit out of you if you protest at someone's funeral saying they're going to go to hell and call them a fag.

I think it might be fair to say that if you believe in free speech then you not only believe in the right for non religious people to insult Muhammad and Jesus but you also must believe in a religious person's right to insult your dead loved ones and my dead loved ones.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Messages In This Thread
Westborough Baptist Church - free speech. - by paulpablo - June 30, 2017 at 10:07 pm
RE: Westborough Baptist Church - free speech. - by henryp - June 30, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Formal and Informal speech lizbizdiz 19 1550 July 3, 2019 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 7764 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Free speech issue, again.... Foundy 32 3222 December 24, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Free speech issue... ƵenKlassen 34 4443 December 4, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Dreaming is free,.....and evidence free... Brian37 6 1000 October 2, 2017 at 4:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Real JFK NWO Speech... And the Definition of "Theory" ScienceAf 8 2263 August 17, 2016 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  Lovely speech Excited Penguin 3 756 March 14, 2016 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  People at church excluding and avoiding me on church trip ashasha1212 14 3369 August 25, 2015 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Women and speech BrokenQuill92 6 1582 January 30, 2014 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: Shaggy
Tongue Russell Brand Interviews Baptist Church Leaders LOL! Big Blue Sky 6 1858 July 5, 2013 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist