Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God
The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God
I have come up with a counterargument for this standard objective moral values argument for the existence of God that goes as follows:

Premise 1: Objective moral values exist.
Premise 2: If God does not exist then objective moral values do not exist.
Conclusion: Therefore God exists.

My argument against that argument is as follows:

Premise 1: The only rational reason to believe that God exists is to rationally believe that both objective moral values do exist and that God cannot exist without those objective moral values.
Premise 2: If the existence of objective moral values is the only rational reason to believe in God then without that reason it would be more parsimonious to not believe in God.
Premise 3. If all other relevant reasons are equal then it is more rational to be parsimonious.
Premise 4: But because there is no other rational reason to believe in God besides objective moral values then without that reason all relevant reasons are indeed equal.
Premise 5: It is more parsimonious to believe in objective moral values without the existence of God.
Conclusion 1: It is more rational to believe in objective moral values without the existence of God if the existence of God is not required for objective values to exist.
Premise 6: There is simply no reason to believe that the existence of objective moral values require God's existence.
Premise 7: Objective moral values do exist.
Final conclusion: It is more rational to not believe in God than to believe in God.

Note: I don't actually believe that objective moral values exist, as most atheists don't, but as far as I'm concerned this is a smackdown against the idea that if objective moral values exist then it's more rational to believe in God than disbelieve in God.

Also note that this argument relies on the premise that there are no other good reasons to believe in God... but my point here is that anytime any theist brings up the argument from objective morality as a way to prove God's existence it is now clear that that argument of theirs is absolutely useless unless they also have other arguments to support God's existence.

EDIT: I don't actually need Premise 2 at all but premise 2 makes the argument a lot clearer and more explicit, I think.

Messages In This Thread
The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God - by Edwardo Piet - May 1, 2018 at 4:37 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 758 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 12782 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6403 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The existence of God smithd 314 18951 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 6575 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3088 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1598 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 3614 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Any Moral Relativists in the House? vulcanlogician 72 4584 June 21, 2021 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5295 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris