Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meanings of “God” in some scriptures
RE: Meanings of “God” in some scriptures
(July 8, 2018 at 3:31 pm)jimhabegger Wrote: Update on my thoughts: Some religious scriptures that I use to help me do what I want to do in life use the word “God.” I’ve learned some ways of using that word too, in my thinking, because that helps me also. It also helps me in communicating with other people sometimes. For those times when it does not help in communicating with people, I’m trying to learn to say what I think without using that word, and that’s helping me also.

I have nothing to say about the meaning of the word “God,” by itself, in my scriptures or in my thinking, or whether or not it corresponds to some being that exists or is real.

Anything anyone wants to say about that would be welcome.

If the goal is accurate communication...it;s generally best to say what you mean rather than employ some catch-all term.  You don;t really know whether or not it;s helped you in communicating with people who believe in gods, even. 

They might think you;ve been talking about something...or someone....else, all this time.

It;s worth considering, and it;s one of the more amusing things I noticed about people in the bahai periphery. They take for granted that the term "god" can be employed in this way. That the referrent is malleable. They even imagine that other people are referring to essentially the same thing when they use the term. They take this for granted because it;s taken for granted in their faith. This is not a point of agreement with other believers. Nor is it a point of agreement for lunguists, or cultural anthropologists.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Meanings of “God” in some scriptures - by The Grand Nudger - July 8, 2018 at 10:08 pm