Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mathematical Genius: Who Are Humanity's Current Mathematical Geniuses?
RE: Mathematical Genius: Who Are Humanity's Current Mathematical Geniuses?
I worked with many people with doctorates across a spectrum of disciplines in the course of my work. Two individuals with doctorates in Electrical Engineering stand out. I've known dozens who were pretty smart, but these two just defy belief. We had been working a program for a couple of decades, and the one guy we hired took one look at the data and realized that it wasn't right. I'd put that guy close to Maxwell. The other guy had patents in his name before he was even with the company a year. All these other really smart guys, and both of these guys run circles around them. Not mathematicians per se, but if you get that deeply into electromagnetic theory, it's hard to tell them apart. Then again, I've worked with a guy that had a doctorate in electrical engineering that had to be schooled in how to program logarithmic functions in FORTRAN by a guy with a lowly BSc in physics, and another who had to be educated on some antenna theory, by the same guy.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mathematical Genius: Who Are Humanity's Current Mathematical Geniuses? - by Fireball - July 11, 2018 at 8:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A mathematical problem I can't seem to get Mathematica to auto solve. highdimensionman 6 1074 May 22, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Weight Question - Geniuses Only T0 Th3 M4X 12 1607 December 1, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  The Mathematical Proof Thread Kernel Sohcahtoa 67 13364 July 6, 2018 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Mathematical proof.. lifesagift 20 6374 September 26, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: lifesagift
  Mathematical proof of the existence of God JudgeDracoAmunRa 20 12629 March 30, 2012 at 11:43 am
Last Post: JudgeDracoAmunRa
  Spot the Mathematical Fallacy Tiberius 16 7131 March 25, 2010 at 6:57 am
Last Post: Violet
  Mathematical claims of 'Bible Codes'...is there any truth in the maths? CoxRox 12 8514 January 9, 2009 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Tiberius