Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did I "Convert" to Atheism? Not Really
Did I "Convert" to Atheism? Not Really
I am not sure I was ever really a believer, although I went to Church for many years, was Confirmed in the C of E when I was 12, was a Sunday School Teacher for a while, and a Church Organist for about 10 years (because: Hammond Organ) at the same time in the later years I was playing in a local Rock Band and getting pissed out of my brain several nights per week.

But Church was something everybody did in Australia in the 50's and 60's because the Country would literally close at weekends, so it was Footy on Saturday and Church, which was also the major social outlet, on Sunday.

But as I said I just did it because everybody else did and dutifully read the Bible, which turned out to be one of the reasons I drifted eventually drifted away. I did not believe the bloody thing.  The other reasons for stopping were Marriage, a hectic job, then a mortgage, then kids.  Life got in the way of what I always felt was suspicious, and later felt was a complete fiction, and apart from Weddings and Funerals, have not been inside a Church for over 40 years.

I am not a Capital A atheist, and my atheism is not even an important part of my life.  It just IS. And Australia is a pretty laid back place, very forgiving of most beliefs that are not extremist, so the subject rarely comes up in real life.  As one example, when I started becoming bored in my retirement, I started doing volunteer work for a Religious (Uniting Church) based Food and Material relief organisation.  I was there 8 years and my atheism was never an issue.

So, such as it is, that is my "conversion" story.  It's late, so time for bed.

Norm

Messages In This Thread
Did I "Convert" to Atheism? Not Really - by fromdownunder - August 17, 2018 at 9:34 am
RE: Did I "Convert" to Atheism? Not Really - by robvalue - August 17, 2018 at 10:02 am
RE: Did I "Convert" to Atheism? Not Really - by Fireball - August 17, 2018 at 10:04 am
RE: Did I "Convert" to Atheism? Not Really - by Joods - August 17, 2018 at 10:18 am
RE: Did I "Convert" to Atheism? Not Really - by Whateverist - August 17, 2018 at 10:27 am
RE: Did I "Convert" to Atheism? Not Really - by AFTT47 - August 17, 2018 at 11:05 pm
RE: Did I "Convert" to Atheism? Not Really - by ignoramus - August 18, 2018 at 1:02 am
RE: Did I "Convert" to Atheism? Not Really - by ignoramus - August 18, 2018 at 7:41 am
RE: Did I "Convert" to Atheism? Not Really - by Brian37 - August 19, 2018 at 8:47 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent convert - My story Regina 6 2300 January 7, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Regina
  My... story? I guess? Its not really on par with lord of the rings to be honest. Reforged 7 3173 February 20, 2012 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Galileo