Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help?-NDE Discussion
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help?
(October 25, 2018 at 2:08 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(October 25, 2018 at 1:52 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Let me put it this way: do you think digestion exists apart from your G.I. tract?

Yes.

Now that I've given you a straight answer, how about giving me one?

Well proof is only for formal logic and mathematics but I guess you'd like me to justify the claim that consciousness cannot exist apart from brain/bodies.  Okay, I can't deny the possibility of a clever alternative account of consciousness: perhaps we are brains in vats; perhaps we are plugged into a matrix; perhaps the universe has created souls which it continually recycles on the wheel of life; or perhaps the lord your God creates consciousness receptors on some vast assembly line and lets the souls age for eons of time before embodying them only to reclaim and sort them upon the death of the bodies he has cleverly designed to give the appearance of giving rise to consciousness.  I have no conclusive justification for thinking as I do though I do feel I am being much less extravagant in my theorizing than you.

So how good is your justification for thinking consciousness does not arise as a function of brains?  Pretty tough to prove a negative isn't it?  Oh wait, you find youtube videos convincing, don't you?

Messages In This Thread
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 24, 2018 at 5:48 am
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Alan V - October 25, 2018 at 11:58 am
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Whateverist - October 25, 2018 at 3:07 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Alan V - October 25, 2018 at 4:15 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 25, 2018 at 5:06 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 25, 2018 at 5:48 pm
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? - by Cod - October 25, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nuh uh! was: [split] AF's very own list of Transitional Fossils professor 114 24142 December 2, 2014 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Discussion of supernatural activities Jose 32 8574 August 18, 2014 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Hypothetical discussion on souls MythRat 22 5033 February 10, 2014 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Hey, Assbutt! - A discussion about the paranormal side of things shiver23 24 10351 October 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13