Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Fran to expunge over 9000 cannabis convictions
San Fran to expunge over 9000 cannabis convictions
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/26/698045482...onvictions

Quote:San Francisco officials plan to expunge more than 9,000 marijuana convictions dating back to 1975, the city's highest law enforcement official said Monday.

"It was the morally right thing to do," San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón told the Los Angeles Times. "If you have a felony conviction, you are automatically excluded in so many ways from participating in your community."

Gascón said his office would expunge 9,362 felony and misdemeanor cases. That includes 1,230 his office had already cleared. Before the city started to comb through records to find those eligible to be cleared, only 23 people had petitioned the city to do something about their convictions, NPR reported last year. That's because the process was tedious, Gascón told NPR's Ari Shapiro.

All I can really say is it's about damn time. If, in 2019, you still believe cannabis does any more harm than alcohol or nicotine, I really don't even know what to say to you. 

If anything, cannabis is the most relatively harmless psychoactive drug that exists. There's no reason for someone to be punished for enjoying a joint after work, just like someone shouldn't be punished for having a glass of wine or a cold beer after work. Hell, I'd rather see someone smoke pot and get behind the wheel of a car than get drunk and drive. Ideally, I'd rather drivers on the road be completely sober, but you understand what I'm getting at.

All in all, I'd love to see a society in the West that accepts cannabis for what it is: a relatively harmless way to relax and let loose.

It's ridiculous to see people arrested for cannabis and it's especially heinous when you consider that minorities are targeted more than any other group for cannabis possession; this likely stems from the days of 'reefer madness' where cannabis was said to give minorities super powers and make them flirt with white women and look at white men twice.

I think we need to see more of this. Arresting people is a total waste of law enforcement's time and an utter waste of tax payers' money.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.

Messages In This Thread
San Fran to expunge over 9000 cannabis convictions - by EgoDeath - March 1, 2019 at 10:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fire at Pier 45 in San Francisco onlinebiker 10 1032 May 24, 2020 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  San Diego Paper Calls On Hunter To Resign Minimalist 2 398 August 23, 2018 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  San Diego Hepatitis A Outbreak brewer 2 283 September 8, 2017 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: c172
  Another step closer to cannabis legalisation in the UK? account_inactive 20 1659 November 29, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Colorado proves that legal cannabis is an enormous fucking no-brainer Ryantology 22 3883 June 30, 2014 at 3:36 am
Last Post: ignoramus