Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best arguments for or against God's existence
RE: Best arguments for or against God's existence
IMO, presuppositional apologetics are the most useful rhetorical device, while arguments from personal experience are the most effective.    

Against, for the abrahamics, at least, the fact that magic book is manifestly untrue from cover to cover.  More broadly, the human origins of god stories and their attributions through time and across cultures.  It gets dropped as an offhand remark, alot, but I don't think that the faithful truly appreciate how immensely unlikely it would be that their completely fictional god stories just so happened to line up with some existent being somewhere.  Whether there are gods or not, we know the source and nature of our stories about them. Tim Minchin, of all people (lol) nailed it.

"Fuck me Sam, what are the odds, that of history's endless parade of gods....."
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best arguments for or against God's existence - by The Grand Nudger - May 21, 2019 at 10:51 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 758 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The existence of God smithd 314 18947 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1597 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability) JAG 12 937 October 8, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6088 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 7907 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13611 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments? vulcanlogician 223 28096 April 9, 2018 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Berkeley's argument for the existence of God FlatAssembler 130 12969 April 1, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 41207 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist