Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we alone? Bets are we're not.
RE: Are we alone? Bets are we're not.
Quote:One thing about scientists I don't like currently. If our attitude is to prove life exists elsewhere, which I agree with, why would it not make sense to send bacteria to other celestial bodies, even if they originated here? If life is possible elsewhere, then life here, even if only bacteria, we should use to prove it is possible to survive elsewhere.

But that wouldn't prove that life exists elsewhere, only that it could exist elsewhere.  We already know that it could.

Quote:Why send humans to the moon to prove we can survive there, even if only for hours. Why plot to put humans on Mars if we cant prove bacteria can survive there first?

If you send Terran bacteria to Mars (or anywhere else), how will you know if they survive, unless you send humans to monitor them?  Also, which bacteria would you send?

Quote:I think we should send cockroaches to Mars first. Those fuckers are masters at adaptation.

Actually, individual cockroach species require a fairly narrow set of parameters of temperature and humidity to thrive - they aren't really adaptable at all. Also, cockroaches wouldn't survive the g forces at liftoff. Even if they did, the bugs couldn't survive more than one day of Martian temperatures - cockroaches die at 0 degrees F, and it gets a LOT colder than that on Mars.

All in all, these are pretty stupid ideas.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Messages In This Thread
Are we alone? Bets are we're not. - by Gawdzilla Sama - July 10, 2019 at 3:52 pm
RE: Are we alone? Bets are we're not. - by Brian37 - July 10, 2019 at 4:12 pm
RE: Are we alone? Bets are we're not. - by onlinebiker - July 10, 2019 at 4:56 pm
RE: Are we alone? Bets are we're not. - by Fireball - July 10, 2019 at 5:40 pm
RE: Are we alone? Bets are we're not. - by onlinebiker - July 10, 2019 at 5:47 pm
RE: Are we alone? Bets are we're not. - by The Valkyrie - July 10, 2019 at 7:07 pm
RE: Are we alone? Bets are we're not. - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - July 10, 2019 at 6:01 pm
RE: Are we alone? Bets are we're not. - by Anomalocaris - July 10, 2019 at 6:22 pm