Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL may be headed to player negotiation.
RE: NFL may be headed to player negotiation.
(August 15, 2019 at 12:28 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 15, 2019 at 12:19 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Yea and? Did you not read my post?

That does not cover all the free play prior to getting into the league. When you spread it out to basically over 20 years, that isn't that much. And again, compared  to their billionaire owners, that is still a drop in the bucket. 

Again, the only reason the NFL pulls this "save your money" crap with the players, is to get the fans pitted against the players, which gets them to ignore that the billionaire owners. I just find it hypocritical for the owners to tell them to cut back on spending, when those owners also have closes and cars and property they also barely use.

The NFL owners pull the same con most of corporate America does. Point to the different zip codes, and say, "You better look out for the other guy, they are your enemy."

YES 500,000 is a lot, but it is nothing compared to what the billionaires make. And those players have to live off of that after they leave. The key isn't to blame the labor, but for the owners to value the society they get rich off of, not just the players, but the stadium workers, the fans that buy their products, the cities that loan them money to build the stadiums.

Again, I have no problem with "save your money". I do have a problem with the hypocrisy knowing those billionaires have cloths they rarely use, cars they rarely drive, and property they rarely use. Again, don't ask your employees to do things you are not willing to do yourself.

I read your post.  Twice.

Why the hell should owners pay for players who aren't in the league?  Why should a business owner pay ANYone who doesn't work for them?

Maybe another reason that owners are advising players to save their money is that professional athletes are notoriously bad at money management.

No, players do not have to live off their salaries when they leave off playing.  They get a pension, and they have the opportunity to invest in a retirement scheme.

You understand a billionaire doesn't NEED to be advised about money management, correct?  If you're going to get into such high dudgeon over team owners being billionaires, maybe you should stop watching American football.

Boru

Who the fuck is asking owners to pay for people who are not in the league?

I said that you are focused on the player's salary when there is a lot more to it than just that number.

Sorry dude, not my baggage that you don't get it.

SOME get a pension, not all. There is a shitload of fine print in their contracts. Just like health insurance today, they will find a way not to pay out every time they get a chance. 

It is standard in most businesses that you have to work a certain number of years to get a pension. Most businesses today fire employees at the mid and low level before they have to pay a pension.

(August 15, 2019 at 12:28 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 15, 2019 at 12:19 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Yea and? Did you not read my post?

That does not cover all the free play prior to getting into the league. When you spread it out to basically over 20 years, that isn't that much. And again, compared  to their billionaire owners, that is still a drop in the bucket. 

Again, the only reason the NFL pulls this "save your money" crap with the players, is to get the fans pitted against the players, which gets them to ignore that the billionaire owners. I just find it hypocritical for the owners to tell them to cut back on spending, when those owners also have closes and cars and property they also barely use.

The NFL owners pull the same con most of corporate America does. Point to the different zip codes, and say, "You better look out for the other guy, they are your enemy."

YES 500,000 is a lot, but it is nothing compared to what the billionaires make. And those players have to live off of that after they leave. The key isn't to blame the labor, but for the owners to value the society they get rich off of, not just the players, but the stadium workers, the fans that buy their products, the cities that loan them money to build the stadiums.

Again, I have no problem with "save your money". I do have a problem with the hypocrisy knowing those billionaires have cloths they rarely use, cars they rarely drive, and property they rarely use. Again, don't ask your employees to do things you are not willing to do yourself.

I read your post.  Twice.

Why the hell should owners pay for players who aren't in the league?  Why should a business owner pay ANYone who doesn't work for them?

Maybe another reason that owners are advising players to save their money is that professional athletes are notoriously bad at money management.

No, players do not have to live off their salaries when they leave off playing.  They get a pension, and they have the opportunity to invest in a retirement scheme.

You understand a billionaire doesn't NEED to be advised about money management, correct?  If you're going to get into such high dudgeon over team owners being billionaires, maybe you should stop watching American football.

Boru

Holy shit...... "Billionaires don't need lectures on money management".... NO SHIT, but they do need a lecture on greed and hypocrisy.

They still rip off the concession stand workers, and the fans and the cities they get loans from to build their stadiums, loans they frequently do not pay back. 

And very few of their players get the health care they need after they leave the league. Just like sitcom actors are supposed to get royalties after the show ends. If it worked the way you think it does, then nobody would go broke. I do not buy the myth that every single player who goes broke is irresponsible.

Messages In This Thread
NFL may be headed to player negotiation. - by Brian37 - August 15, 2019 at 9:09 am
RE: NFL may be headed to player negotiation. - by Brian37 - August 15, 2019 at 12:19 pm
RE: NFL may be headed to player negotiation. - by Brian37 - August 15, 2019 at 12:38 pm
RE: NFL may be headed to player negotiation. - by Brian37 - August 15, 2019 at 6:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  That Unofficial NFL Thread Brian37 158 8600 March 11, 2024 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  How could I miss this rule for 55 years in the NFL? Brian37 14 1683 December 1, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  CFL VS NFL..... Brian37 28 2990 August 28, 2021 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Anyone watching the NFL draft? Brian37 11 1121 May 2, 2021 at 4:50 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  NFL Pro Bowl Brian37 0 271 January 31, 2021 at 9:39 am
  AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore Shell B 941 96832 November 2, 2020 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Sal
  NFL and Covid....... Cam Newton..... Brian37 2 445 October 3, 2020 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  NFL triva..... Brian37 2 338 September 29, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  NFL's Tom Dempsey latest victim of virus. Brian37 3 776 April 5, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Two NFL records broken this weekend. Brian37 0 338 January 20, 2019 at 11:21 pm