Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do invented saints tell us about Christianity?
What do invented saints tell us about Christianity?
There are hundreds of saints (if not thousands) that never lived but have died for Christ. Some of them are: St. Eustace (general in Emperor Trajan’s army), St. George (dragon slayer who could pray so that God destroys pagan temples and kill its priests by fire rain and earthquakes), St. Christopher (Hercules-type guy who carried child Jesus over a dangerous river), St. Alexius Of Rome (son of a Roman senator), St. Philomena (who was so beautiful and devoted to God that emperor Diocletian killed her for not wanting to marry him), St. Catherine Of Alexandria (another one that was close to the Roman emperor who killed her because he couldn't win a debate with her and then her corpse flew in the sky to Mt. Sinai where there is a church devoted on her landing site), St. Veronica (who wiped Jesus' face and healed Emperor Tiberius with it, and is now practically depicted in every church on the Stations of the Cross, although she isn't even mentioned in the Bible), and hundreds more.

So what does that tell us about Christians and Christianity? Does it tell us that Christians love to lie since they made up thousands of people and claimed they were real?

Does it tell us that Christians don't care about reality? Because in spite of the Vatican admitting and removing some of them from the liturgical calendar, Christians persist to see them as inspirational and devote their lives (and churches) to fictional characters.

Does it tell us that Christianity is an impossible set of rules, so Christians needed to invent thousands of fictional Christians who followed Christian credo because real ones are so "bad" at it?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Messages In This Thread
What do invented saints tell us about Christianity? - by Fake Messiah - November 7, 2019 at 9:30 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saints writings on Jews Fake Messiah 14 2442 December 21, 2019 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Saints With The Best Stories BrianSoddingBoru4 18 1784 November 15, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How much of my personal experience should I tell the world? Der/die AtheistIn 10 1387 January 18, 2019 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Tell Me Again How Your Bullshit Is Spreading in Africa, Xtians! Minimalist 9 1338 July 21, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Should I tell my parents I faked being christian? Der/die AtheistIn 26 5629 January 15, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Tell All Book Says Pat Robertson Full of Shit Minimalist 12 3522 September 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Atheist73
  Tell Me Again How Great Fucking Xtians Are Minimalist 44 13256 June 26, 2017 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Hi, I would like to tell you about Jesus Christ, the only way to God JacquelineDeane55 78 20808 June 10, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4122 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Did Jesus Christ ever tell a joke ? The Wise Joker 12 2678 January 31, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0