Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editing the "germ line" with CRISPR AKA "eugenics"
Editing the "germ line" with CRISPR AKA "eugenics"
I've just finished watching the fascinating documentary by Storyville (I'm binging the stuff on lockdown - recommended - loads of ace documentaries) called The Gene Revolution (2020) - anybody else here seen it?

Basically the long and the short of it is that there's this incredible molecule called CRISPR which is part of our biology's viral immune system. Using CRISPR biologists have recently discovered that they can "edit out" bad genes for genetic diseases - before, it was just a pipe dream. The "germ line" are the sperm and eggs - if the edit is put there then the traits will be in the reproductive line of offspring - elsewise they only last one generation. Eugenics translates as "good gene" and only has negative connotations because of unethical use of "editing the gene pool" practices by, for example, the Nazis. An end to lethal and debilitating genetic disorders ? That would be eugenics, of course, and also "playing god" - except eugenics is just a word and all scientists worth their salt would never "play" with this. 

Do it - I say - get rid of just the horrible shit and leave it there - no need to make "super humans" and that would be a road to ruin - that's my 2c...yet...tricky! 

Read

Messages In This Thread
Editing the "germ line" with CRISPR AKA "eugenics" - by Duty - March 25, 2020 at 2:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution "fails" AKA "where god seems to have got it wrong" Duty 44 2050 February 6, 2022 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Human baby gene editing is here? brewer 9 1054 November 29, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  We must de-stigmatize eugenics Alexmahone 62 5632 August 17, 2018 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Eugenics/Designer-babies... is the concept really that bad? Aoi Magi 112 11289 August 16, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Unbroken Mitochondrial line? SamWatson 27 3396 April 9, 2017 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  What do you think about Eugenics? Twisted 47 7473 June 19, 2015 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Eugenics EgoRaptor 18 3110 January 29, 2014 at 10:45 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Anti-vac children on the line Kayenneh 10 4895 January 26, 2014 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce