Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 12:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A 'proof' of God's existence - free will
A 'proof' of God's existence - free will
Just to ground the discussion - I find very little justification to believe in a theistic entity.  However, I do not consider myself an atheist.  At least not yet.  And I continue to search for logical and scientific justification for such belief in the name of intellectual honesty.  I will readily admit to and even argue for atheist-like arguments, and I have been banned from religious forums many times simply because, as I was told, my arguments were depressing the believers.  That being said, there are a few interesting philosophical points that I don;t think atheists can answer.  Here's one:

Consider free will.  No matter how you look at it, I can't for the life of me see how there is ANY possibility free will exists, whether there is a God or not.  Clearly, if you take the deterministic side of things, there is no free will.  But even if you subscribe to Liberatarianism, you STILL have to allow for randomness in your actions.  In other words, even if we agree that there is a 50% chance I eat that cheeseburger, the execution of that choice cannot be mine and mine alone.  WHY did I eat the cheeseburger (if I did so)?  The concept of 'choice' is nothing more than the random selection of certain probabilities.  In other words, there is NO free will.  Randomness does not equal choice.  Determinism does not equal choice.  No free will either way.

The above would widely be considered as points against Theism - and rightly so.  So here is the question then.  If there is no free will, WHY then do we have the ILLUSION of free will?  There is no evolutionary benefit to our minds thinking we act freely.  Procreation of species would not be dependent upon such an illusion.  An automaton would act the way it would act, and would react the way it would react - an internal understanding of WHY it did so is irrelevant.  So WHY then do we BELIEVE we act freely?  Could, perhaps, such illusion be 'provided' by a supernatural being?  Could we thus have a soul that encapsulates this illusion? 

Is this "proof" of a God? Not really - which is why I put the term in quotes in the subject.  But I find the question very interesting.  My own rational musings have led me to consider that the "illusion" of free will is in actuality the FEEDBACK loop of how our decisions affect our future actions.  For example, if I got a stomach ache from eating that cheeseburger, my future probability of eating it would drop to 40%.  This neurological process manifests as 'free will', similar to how transfer of short-term to long-term memory manifests as a dream.

Regardless, I haven't decided yet what the answer is.   I welcome your thoughts.

Messages In This Thread
A 'proof' of God's existence - free will - by mrj - April 27, 2020 at 9:58 pm
RE: A 'proof' of God's existence - free will - by mrj - April 28, 2020 at 8:05 am
RE: A 'proof' of God's existence - free will - by mrj - April 28, 2020 at 10:19 am
RE: A 'proof' of God's existence - free will - by Brian37 - April 28, 2020 at 10:37 am
RE: A 'proof' of God's existence - free will - by Brian37 - April 28, 2020 at 10:46 am
RE: A 'proof' of God's existence - free will - by Brian37 - April 28, 2020 at 11:25 am
RE: A 'proof' of God's existence - free will - by GUBU - April 28, 2020 at 6:02 pm
RE: A 'proof' of God's existence - free will - by chimp3 - April 28, 2020 at 7:37 pm
RE: A 'proof' of God's existence - free will - by Sal - August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 758 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The existence of God smithd 314 18950 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1598 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Criticism of Aquinas' First Way or of the Proof of God from Motion. spirit-salamander 75 6496 May 3, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 2713 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 7907 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13611 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Berkeley's argument for the existence of God FlatAssembler 130 12969 April 1, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 41249 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A good argument for God's existence (long but worth it) Mystic 179 32474 October 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0