Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would Jesus promote punishing the innocent instead of the guilty?
RE: Would Jesus promote punishing the innocent instead of the guilty?
(July 26, 2020 at 2:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 26, 2020 at 2:51 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Jesus was not a jewish rabbi.  The character in magic book says whatever it's cultists wanted it to say.  That's how characters in magic books work.

In the broadest sense, he was (at least as depicted in the narrative). All Jewish men are rabbis.

Boru

He certainly isn't depicted as a rabbi in magic book.  

He's depicted as a demi-god set in opposition to nascent rabbinical tradition, that had become corrupt and stagnant - much like the world, providing the narrative and theological necessity of a new revelation, a new religion.  

Similarly, we've got Greatest I am re-imagining what some other non existent jesus would say about vicarious redemption - which is absurd.  The character in magic book establishes vicarious redemption as the new divine order, and does not, nor would that character ever, argue against it's purpose for being.

We can imagine, if we like, that there was some historic jesus that was a rabbi and never would have said [insert whatever we like here] - but that is not the character in magic book. If we want to discuss the character in magic book, at some point, we'll have to let it be what it is, rather than what we wish it were, or some Better™ version of it by the standards of ethical concerns or modern historic revisionism. Jesus was not a rabbi, and the idea of dumping our bad juju on some other is well represented in the abrahamic tradition. The ritual expatiation of cosmic debt in transactional faith is a known known. We may disagree with it on theological or ethical grounds, but the authors of new magic book definitely thought it was great.

If we can't imagine a rabbi telling that to people, and we think we're teasing out details of the historic jesus™ in this, then what does that tell us about the guy? I Am would like to insist that the christians got jesus wrong, but that's not what follows. It's a self serving reaffirmation of his own faith. No amount of quoting old magic book can help us with that. The people who wrote new magic book had their own religion, and, frankly, didn't know much about old magic book at all - nor would they have cared.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would Jesus promote punishing the innocent instead of the guilty? - by The Grand Nudger - July 27, 2020 at 8:35 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Archbishop Philip Wilson guilty of concealing child sex abuses zebo-the-fat 3 806 May 23, 2018 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Jesus Would Be Proud of You, Douchebag Minimalist 37 9059 August 21, 2017 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Hi, I would like to tell you about Jesus Christ, the only way to God JacquelineDeane55 78 20806 June 10, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Praise GOD !!!! A Jesus your Vorlon would worship !!!!!! vorlon13 7 1319 April 22, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  If they found Jesus' turd what would they do with it? Fake Messiah 64 6964 August 26, 2016 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? Simon Moon 294 33904 July 2, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christians - What would you do if it were discovered Jesus never existed? Cecelia 165 33194 September 12, 2015 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7176 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Jesus Would Role Over In His Grave Cinjin 7 2329 April 19, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  What if Jesus came back, but discounted much of the bible as heretical, would you still follow him? Brakeman 9 2913 February 6, 2013 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Ryantology