Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science Nerds: Could Jupiter's Magnetic Field be harvested for energy?
Science Nerds: Could Jupiter's Magnetic Field be harvested for energy?
Could Jupiter's Magnetic Field (in theory) be harvested for energy?

Context: I'm doing some science fiction world building where the Jovians (who live on the moons of Jupiter) have built megastructures where they harness the energy from Jupiter's magnetic field. But I'd like to know how plausible this is. I'm trying to keep things well-grounded in science... no FTL travel, maybe no nuclear fusion, just stuff we know will work today. Huge planet-spanning structures ARE on the table however.

It's a pet project I've been tinkering with for years. A space opera that occurs in our own solar system involving several alien races: Mercurials, Venetians, Humans, Martians, Jovians, Kypers, and Oorts (who are all humans evolved, hundreds of thousands of years into the future).

Anyway, I know there are science geeks here who could give me a good analysis of the problem. The reason I care is that I want the solar system to have gone through several  cataclysms (maybe due to enormous solar flares that impacted the advancement of the inner planet civilizations negatively). But -for plot reasons- I need the Jovians to be largely unaffected by the solar flare activity. I'm thinking that Jupiter's magnetosphere might protect them. Is that plausible? I guess that's another thing I'm wondering about.

Messages In This Thread
Science Nerds: Could Jupiter's Magnetic Field be harvested for energy? - by vulcanlogician - May 3, 2021 at 6:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16270 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Magnetar - intense magnetic field - Cool toy Ferrocyanide 4 518 February 23, 2022 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 581 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4350 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Do W Bosons get Their Mass from the Higgs Field? Rhondazvous 2 808 February 18, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Rethinking Dark Matter/Dark energy.... Brian37 11 2469 January 26, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  When Do Quanta Pass Through the Higgs Field? What is a Higgs Boson Before Excitation Rhondazvous 17 4880 June 28, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  God did not create any magnetic charges! Jehanne 7 1710 May 25, 2017 at 2:50 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  First collisions at the LHC with unprecedented Energy! (Ask a particle physisicist) Alex K 385 55541 August 8, 2016 at 5:03 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Jupiter, meet Juno Alex K 12 1419 July 5, 2016 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Minimalist