Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why not dismiss the trinitarian belief outright
RE: Why not dismiss the trinitarian belief outright
(June 4, 2021 at 11:13 pm)Klorophyll Wrote:
(June 4, 2021 at 10:42 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: You will get more insight into the answer to your question from someone who believes in the concept of the trinity.  Most of us left such faith practices which in part means that we don't buy into the concept.  That shouldn't be difficult to understand.  

Why do people believe what they believe?  You have to ask them.

But I will tell you that William Lane Craig isn't the ultimate source for such things as he is pretty fringe.  Find yourself a nice middle of the road Christian to explain why they believe what they believe with regard to the trinity.

Thanks for the answer. I am not really looking for personal reasons to believe in Trinity, but for real objective justifications of this idea. This is why I prefer atheist forums, at least I won't get lengthy quotes from the Bible as answers. Besides, I thought that the "Christianity" subforum is visited by actual christians but apparently this isn't the case. 

I recently found a video of some christian apologist named Matt Slick purportedly destroying Matt Dillahunty, I am not sure if anyone here knows the former and can advise me to read more about his defenses of christian doctrine.
I am not familiar with Matt Slick...I have little use for apologists.
I suppose the best way to look at it (the concept of the trinity) is the same way many things in religion have to be taken and that is on faith.  That's what I was taught.  You don't ask a lot of questions but instead take the teachings on faith.  
That never worked for me.  I needed proof or at least something that made sense.  Why should I take anything on faith?
Seriously, find a believer and ask them to explain it.  In fact, find a few.  I just went through a Google search to see what's out there for an explanation and I got similar but different explanations on about a half dozen sites.  I think you will find the same is true if you ask a half dozen believers...you will get similar but different answers.  I have a hunch that even those who profess to be believers don't all buy the trinity thing but claim to as it's expected of them.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why not dismiss the trinitarian belief outright - by arewethereyet - June 4, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1307 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Belief Catharsis 57 4228 March 24, 2019 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Is there another motivation for christian belief? brewer 118 17026 September 23, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: TubbyTubby
  My view of theism - theism analogous to belief in extra terrestrials joseph_ 4 1237 August 30, 2016 at 4:20 am
Last Post: Jarrey
  I don't do "lack of belief", bitch. Foxaèr 35 5884 March 21, 2016 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Panatheist
  What is needed to combat the overwhelming level of belief in God? SteveII 149 20498 December 14, 2015 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Athene
  So what do you Christians like about your god belief/religion? Whateverist 44 9882 November 14, 2015 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Theism the unscientific belief dyresand 18 4055 November 11, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why is Faith/Belief a Moral Issue? Rhondazvous 120 25155 August 21, 2015 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How to avoid confusion in your Christian belief. Pyrrho 14 3534 May 25, 2015 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb