Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why not dismiss the trinitarian belief outright
RE: Why not dismiss the trinitarian belief outright
(August 13, 2021 at 2:41 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: One of the stranger aspects of christianity as we have it today is the split between the rank and file faithful and academics.  What the one group is lead to believe compared to counterfactual elements which the other group knows and understands and has always been coming to terms with.  

The latter group arrives at a position of faith which is at least concordant with reality. That even though there was vast disagreement and the process which lead to the current understanding was convoluted and murky - what made it out the other side was a fairly accurate representation of the set of true beliefs and a valuable message.  

The former group, for their part, seems to be worried that acknowledging history somehow argues against the truth of their faith, or the value of the message.  It's not clear why this would be the case.  People disagreed about oxygen once, too, and mentioning that fact doesn't seem to have any effect on the fact of oxygens existence.

I'd even argue that for the miracle minded believers, the quagmire that The Real Truth somehow emerged from makes it even more magical.

Regarding the text I bolded - I understand pretty well why this is the case if we limit the question to evangelical and fundamentalist Christians.  These people are taught to believe this in church, plain and simple.  The message may differ from one church to another but it doesn't stray far, especially in churches like Baptists, who are very organized around a central core.  People are taught to build a wall of faith and in that wall are bricks made of scriptures that must be taken literally and without question.  Sometimes bricks are made up of opinions that don't even exist in scripture.  Any time a small thread sticks out of the wall, they are told not to pull on it or the entire wall might fall down.  That's why they are like this.  There's just no room for doubt.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why not dismiss the trinitarian belief outright - by Spongebob - August 13, 2021 at 3:51 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1311 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Belief Catharsis 57 4238 March 24, 2019 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Is there another motivation for christian belief? brewer 118 17030 September 23, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: TubbyTubby
  My view of theism - theism analogous to belief in extra terrestrials joseph_ 4 1237 August 30, 2016 at 4:20 am
Last Post: Jarrey
  I don't do "lack of belief", bitch. Foxaèr 35 5885 March 21, 2016 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Panatheist
  What is needed to combat the overwhelming level of belief in God? SteveII 149 20680 December 14, 2015 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Athene
  So what do you Christians like about your god belief/religion? Whateverist 44 9884 November 14, 2015 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Theism the unscientific belief dyresand 18 4062 November 11, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why is Faith/Belief a Moral Issue? Rhondazvous 120 25161 August 21, 2015 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How to avoid confusion in your Christian belief. Pyrrho 14 3536 May 25, 2015 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb