Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just the essentials or all the bells and whistles?
RE: Just the essentials or all the bells and whistles?
(September 17, 2021 at 12:42 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(September 17, 2021 at 12:38 pm)Angrboda Wrote: I love mangoes, and Walmart and Aldi's sell them cheap.  So when I saw a mango slicer for sale at Aldi's, I grabbed it.  Since then, I've been regularly buying mangoes a few at a time, but not getting around to slicing them before they go bad.  When I do slice up some mangoes, I'm very happy, but I waste a lot of food buying them.  And while I can eat them with the skin on, eating them without is better, which requires some deft skinning with a knife.  So even though I waste a lot of mangoes, I'm considering buying a $3 fillet knife at Walmart to make skinning them easier.

My therapist referred to me as a gadget person, and I guess that's right.  I try not to buy kitchen gadgets that are unlikely to be used, but nothing lights up my eyes like a new kitchen gadget.  I just bought a 6-quart slow cooker, and upon discovering that it's too small for my large batches of stuff, decided to get a 10-quart slow cooker as well!

I made a list of my kitchen gadgets for another forum:

[snip]

You must have a huge kitchen with lots of storage!

I live in a handicapped accessible apartment, so the kitchen and living room is one contiguous space.  I use half for my living room, and in the other half I have 3-1/2 chrome plated wire shelving units.  I use those for my food, freeing up the cabinets for dishes and gadgets.  I use S-hooks on the shelves to hang my pots and pans, and additionally the middle shelves are spaced far enough apart to serve as additional counter space.  Since I rarely have visitors, I have utility tables that I use for even more counter space.  All told, I've got a lot of room for things.  Cooking has become my new hobby since I stopped being depressed all the time and living on frozen TV dinners.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Just the essentials or all the bells and whistles? - by brewer - September 16, 2021 at 12:18 pm
RE: Just the essentials or all the bells and whistles? - by Angrboda - September 17, 2021 at 5:07 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I Just Say and I'm just being honest (Holiday Edition) Mystical 9 2104 November 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  So I just got back my IQ score and diagnosis and I'm sad MusicLovingAtheist 43 18732 September 26, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  My psycho mom just took away my purse with all my belongings without ANY warning! jashleygirl 65 11803 August 5, 2014 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Violet
  I just wanted you all to know Losty 12 3949 May 3, 2014 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Napoléon