Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Famous Karl Marx Quotes
Famous Karl Marx Quotes
***-- If you have an interesting Karl Marx quote, share it here. Feel free to analyze your quote or discuss whether you agree/disagree with it. --***

"Philosophers have hitherto only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

-- Karl Marx (from Theses on Feuerbach)

I'm sure most everybody has heard this quote before. It has been a very influential quote, especially to Marxists (obviously). I like the notion... the importance of putting one's analysis into action so to speak. But I also have problems with it.

One could argue that the first clause is inaccurate. Philosophers had inspired plenty of change in the world before Marx came along. It could be seen as a jibe against the Hegelian method which is very focused on interpretation, but Marx didn't specify Hegel. Plenty of arguments that philosophy and philosophers throughout history did plenty to inspire change (going all the way back to Socrates).

Also, I tend to see interpretation and changing the world like a left foot and right foot of progress. Interpretation and change aid one another. Marx seems to suggest that we stop interpreting and focus everything on changing the world. That's dangerous. But maybe Marx didn't really mean that.

Anyway, I have more analysis, but I would like to hear others' opinions on the quote. Do you like the quote? What's your analysis of it?

Messages In This Thread
Famous Karl Marx Quotes - by vulcanlogician - October 2, 2021 at 4:26 pm
RE: Famous Karl Marx Quote - by The Architect Of Fate - October 2, 2021 at 5:14 pm
RE: Famous Karl Marx Quote - by vulcanlogician - October 2, 2021 at 5:18 pm
RE: Famous Karl Marx Quote - by DLJ - October 2, 2021 at 5:22 pm
RE: Famous Karl Marx Quote - by vulcanlogician - October 2, 2021 at 6:19 pm
RE: Famous Karl Marx Quote - by DLJ - October 2, 2021 at 10:14 pm
RE: Famous Karl Marx Quote - by The Architect Of Fate - October 2, 2021 at 5:31 pm
RE: Famous Karl Marx Quotes - by Angrboda - October 2, 2021 at 6:10 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Meaningful ideas and quotes *Deidre* 606 66367 June 3, 2023 at 5:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Your favorite quotes. Lemonvariable72 42 7538 July 16, 2014 at 9:37 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  So Freud, Carnap, Nietzche and Marx play monopoly .. Whateverist 2 903 April 17, 2014 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A brief interlude of J Krishnamurti, and other great quotes liam 4 2497 September 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: jonb
  Some quotes, belonging to a philosopher Zenith 3 2587 May 23, 2011 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Zenith
  Karl Marx followers? Marx 18 9169 December 23, 2010 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: GANIMEDE