Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus and Prostitutes
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes
(December 1, 2021 at 8:08 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: We're all aware that Jesus hung out with prostitutes. At least, this is the story told in the Gospels. Also found in the Gospels is this: "The prostitutes and tax collectors will be the first to enter the Kingdom of Heaven"... "the last shall be first and the first shall be last."

Theologians have produced a crystalized interpretation of these verses over the centuries, but others (like Leo Tolstoy) have their own interpretation of Jesus' amiability toward sex workers. To Tolstoy, Jesus compassion springs from empathy... that they are downtrodden and hated among members of society. As traditional theologians tell it-- they see it through a Pauline lens-- Jesus is rescuing prostitutes from sin. ie. even though they are so wretched, and their sin is so great, Jesus nonetheless rescues them.

I'd like to hear everyone's input on this, especially the Christians on the forum. How do you interpret the Gospels' statements about prostitutes being the first to enter the Kingdom? Why did Jesus particularly aid and befriend prostitutes? Was it their downtrodden-ness, their "sinful nature" or something else?

If you knew Who CHRIST the Son of GOD Is, you would not write like this.

For the record:

1. "... all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" - Romans 3:23 (So, occupation notwithstanding... all humanity would have been condemned but for the grace of GOD); 
2. "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 6:23
3. "The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, Slow to anger and great in mercy." - Psalm 145:8; "Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not." - Lamentations 3:22; "And when Jesus went out He saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion for them, and healed their sick." - Matthew 14:14... and so on.

If one were to objectively consider these three points (at the least) one would see that GOD has compassion on and forgives a variety of people who have committed a variety of trespasses. 

Note examples of the confessions of men who have received the grace of GOD - realizing Who He Is!
  • "When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!” - Luke 5:8
  • "And the posts of the door were shaken by the voice of him who cried out, and the house was filled with smoke. So I said: “Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, The Lord of hosts.” - Isaiah 6:4-5
  • "As he journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven. Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?” And he said, “Who are You, Lord?” Then the Lord said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads.” So he, trembling and astonished, said, “Lord, what do You want me to do?” Then the Lord said to him, “Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.” - Acts 9:3-6

Messages In This Thread
Jesus and Prostitutes - by vulcanlogician - December 1, 2021 at 8:08 am
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Foxaèr - December 1, 2021 at 8:31 am
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Angrboda - December 1, 2021 at 9:20 am
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by onlinebiker - December 1, 2021 at 9:31 am
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Belacqua - December 1, 2021 at 9:32 am
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by vulcanlogician - December 1, 2021 at 6:36 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Belacqua - December 2, 2021 at 8:48 am
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Paleophyte - December 5, 2021 at 2:07 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Ferrocyanide - December 13, 2021 at 10:35 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Ferrocyanide - December 1, 2021 at 11:01 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by vulcanlogician - December 3, 2021 at 7:01 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by brewer - December 1, 2021 at 10:52 am
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by onlinebiker - December 1, 2021 at 10:56 am
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Ranjr - December 1, 2021 at 11:05 am
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Oldandeasilyconfused - December 1, 2021 at 7:52 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by vulcanlogician - December 1, 2021 at 8:24 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Oldandeasilyconfused - December 1, 2021 at 10:40 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Belacqua - December 1, 2021 at 10:37 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by brewer - December 1, 2021 at 10:25 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Ranjr - December 2, 2021 at 12:37 am
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Mister Agenda - December 2, 2021 at 2:10 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by T.J. - December 2, 2021 at 3:30 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Belacqua - December 2, 2021 at 4:33 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by Mercyvessel - December 5, 2021 at 4:28 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by no one - December 5, 2021 at 5:15 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by brewer - December 5, 2021 at 7:44 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by arewethereyet - December 13, 2021 at 11:26 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by The Grand Nudger - December 6, 2021 at 5:25 am
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by vulcanlogician - December 7, 2021 at 4:26 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by The Grand Nudger - December 7, 2021 at 4:31 pm
RE: Jesus and Prostitutes - by The Valkyrie - December 7, 2021 at 5:50 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3070 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7198 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Jesus the Spiritual Warrior vs Jesus the Sacrificial Lamb Dosaiah 8 7371 December 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist