Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 2:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying
Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying
I recently started work in a care home for people with profound neurological illnesses. Several of the residents can clearly be defined as being "totally locked in."  From wikipedia, for those unfamiliar with the term:

Quote:Locked-in syndrome (LIS), also known as pseudocoma, is a condition in which a patient is aware but cannot move or communicate verbally due to complete paralysis of nearly all voluntary muscles in the body except for vertical eye movements and blinking. The individual is conscious and sufficiently intact cognitively to be able to communicate with eye movements.[3]  results are normal in locked-in syndrome. Total locked-in syndrome, or completely locked-in state (CLIS), is a version of locked-in syndrome wherein the eyes are paralyzed as well.

They cannot move their eyes to communicate, they cannot eat or drink nor move a single muscle to, say, scratch their nose, and are kept alive through having nutrients pumped into their stomachs through a tube. To say these people have a low quality of life would be a serious understatement, IMO. I do not know how many are suffering with this globally, but it's probably far more prevalent than is commonly thought due to the taboo and, IMHO horrific nature of TLIS and, of course, the fact these afflicted people are incapable of speaking up for themselves.

It strikes me that given the likelihood these individuals are, shall we say, severely unhappy with their lot, that euthanasia seems the safer option rather than risking their living a protracted, potentially decades lone, living...well, hell. Sometimes it even crosses my mind that although I've moved into this line of work to care for people, what I'm actually doing is torturing many of them through sustaining their lives. Dark thoughts indeed.

Speaking for myself, if I could carry a card in my wallet that said "in the event of total locked in syndrome, please administer an overdose of morphine" I would. I'm in support of having the option of assisted suicide for those with agonising and incurable medical conditions anyway yet this graphic experience of caring for those locked in has doubled down my resolve on this issue, call it euthanasia if you will.

I've started campaigning with https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/ 

Thoughts and experiences? Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by Duty - December 6, 2021 at 9:51 am
RE: Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by brewer - December 6, 2021 at 10:27 am
RE: Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by Duty - December 6, 2021 at 12:40 pm
RE: Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by Duty - December 6, 2021 at 12:47 pm
RE: Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by brewer - December 6, 2021 at 1:59 pm
RE: Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by Brian37 - December 6, 2021 at 2:06 pm
RE: Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by Duty - December 6, 2021 at 2:18 pm
RE: Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by brewer - December 6, 2021 at 10:34 pm
RE: Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by brewer - December 6, 2021 at 4:53 pm
RE: Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by Angrboda - December 7, 2021 at 10:09 am
RE: Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by brewer - December 7, 2021 at 11:51 am
RE: Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by Duty - January 2, 2022 at 5:54 pm
RE: Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by Duty - January 7, 2022 at 9:06 am
RE: Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by Fireball - February 16, 2022 at 11:10 pm
RE: Total locked in syndrome and assisted dying - by Duty - January 10, 2022 at 2:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Assisted suicide and pro abortion. ignoramus 17 1789 June 20, 2019 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Down Syndrome treatment? Incoming! Creed of Heresy 0 918 March 27, 2013 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy