Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking meaningful advice from atheists
RE: Seeking meaningful advice from atheists
(May 6, 2022 at 7:21 am)Ad Astra Wrote: I can’t get any help from other Christians on religious message boards. After they read about my problems, they claim my faith isn’t genuine.

And that wouldn't be very surprising, would it? you don't sound very respectful to God's name or to any command in your bible? 

and coming to atheists for religious advice? ROFL.

(May 6, 2022 at 7:21 am)Ad Astra Wrote: If I were to do something completely harmless such as have a glass of wine, God tells me I committed an atrocious sin. Then he makes me suffer for it greatly; that suffering being a result of his will, not natural circumstances. In other words, God likes to punish me for enjoying a glass of wine.

That's a very twisted way of understanding sins. Of all the tasty liquids you could've taken, you chosen specifically wine (or any alcoholic beverage) that is not allowed in your religion. It's precisely because you can't avoid a trivially dispensable pleasure like drinking wine that makes your sin stupid and unnecessary.

Maybe there is peer pressure in the western world to consume alcohol. I moved to France since last year and I can understand what it's like.. but why should I care what anybody else drinks; it's the western world's fault after all, not your religion's. That's how you should look at it.. if your faith really were genuine, that is.

(May 6, 2022 at 7:21 am)Ad Astra Wrote:  I asked God what the hell is so wrong with having a sip of wine. His response is always the same: He believe that because a very small percentage of people drink irresponsibly and kill others in car accidents that, therefore, no one can ever be allowed to consume alcohol.

I am sure your bible doesn't talk about car accidents, so I don't know what you're babbling about here. Things can be illicit in scripture for no material reason. It's kind of the religious challenge of whether you'll give up something because God told you so , or only if it's harmful...?

another example to think about : Islam forbids to wear anything made of silk, despite there being no harm in doing so. This is just to show you what being religious means in principle, even if you're not a Muslim

(May 6, 2022 at 7:21 am)Ad Astra Wrote: I pointed out this analogy to God. No matter how much sense I make, no matter how fair or well-reasoned my argument is, he doesn’t care. He won’t change his view and tells me I have to suffer by never drinking alcohol ever again!

You don't point out anything to God, idiot. He points out things to you. And unless you have access to all facts in existence, which you don't, you can't pretend to have a well-reasoned argument against an all-knowing deity.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seeking meaningful advice from atheists - by R00tKiT - May 7, 2022 at 11:40 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Grad student seeking atheist to interview brookelauren25 97 6008 February 21, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2778 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24018 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just a bit of advice please MattyVigilante 17 2454 March 1, 2018 at 4:09 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2177 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Need advice for going to college Won2blv 33 4428 September 19, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice? IanHulett 22 5584 October 17, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Any advice on coming out to my parents? BitchinHitchins 26 6771 August 2, 2015 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing emilynghiem 55 17544 February 21, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  atheist looking for advice jackriot100 56 9313 February 15, 2015 at 5:02 am
Last Post: emilynghiem