Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live?
At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live?
So, this is something I've asked some friends on facebook.

I'm a trans woman who lives in America right now.  And America has taken an alarming turn to the hard right.  Even with democrats in control of both houses of congress and the white house, the GOP has found a way to get significant wins through a partisan supreme court.  It's alarming that a political party that's won the popular vote in exactly one presidential election since 1988 has this much power.  They're also more than willing to use tremendous gerrymandering and voter suppression to give themselves in even more power, despite the fact that the will of the people doesn't want them in power.  I can also see the Trumpanzees taking the next step and setting up a way for the states to reject electors they don't like.  If they get that, and I can easily see them fighting for it, democrats will never be able to wield any political power again.

The supreme court has already shown me they're willing to pretty much let republicans get away with whatever stunt they want.  Between gun control, abortion and school prayer, I have no reason to believe they're going to make any ruling that's going to protect me.  Republicans in congress are more than willing to obstruct anything as long as a democrat is president while being a rubber stamp for any republican president.  And the democrats won't fight back on any of this.  

And..... where does that leave me?  The GOP is already pretty hostile towards LGBT people.  For now, they're restrained because they have to win elections and they have the bill of rights and the constitution to deal with.  But if they keep cutting corners and bending the rules about as far as they can, it's only a matter of time before they realize they can do whatever they want and nobody will stop them.  And what happens when a party of religious fundamentalists have control of the country I live in?  Will I be safe anymore?  Will I have to go somewhere else, just so I don't wind up in another detention center like they're putting immigrants in?  And if I do leave, when?  And where would I go?  

I don't know if I'm alone in this concern; I can easily see them instituting a policy that lets them round up atheists in general.  At very least, I don't figure they're going to invest a lot of time or money or effort into protecting atheists (or LGBT people) who are being targeted by proud boys or militia groups or neo nazis or whoever.

I'm terrified that Christian theocracy is coming to America and I don't know what to do.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Messages In This Thread
At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? - by TaraJo - July 7, 2022 at 11:42 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When You DON’T Live In A Dystopian Hellscape BrianSoddingBoru4 8 655 August 14, 2022 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 7407 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 7335 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3050 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  The Republican America Foxaèr 19 1116 November 23, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Make America Nice Again Secular Elf 53 3695 November 9, 2020 at 6:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] The Mental Illness Crisis in America T.J. 9 1122 August 19, 2019 at 12:03 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  [Serious] What's the point? Trump and the GOP are clearly above the law no matter what you say GODZILLA 21 2434 May 21, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Anyone Else in America See Your Taxes Go Up? DeistPaladin 17 2297 April 12, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  ISIS is the Sauds. The Sauds own ISIS. It's America's cold war gift. WinterHold 15 6445 February 5, 2019 at 4:14 am
Last Post: WinterHold