Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outsmarted by a Christian, need help to contradict
Outsmarted by a Christian, need help to contradict
Hi everyone.
A Christian gave me what I consider a good argument on how religion did good to the world. It originally started as me posting a comment on an anti-atheist picture on facebook, and the little debate started. Here is what that person said:

" yeah man srsly take into account how much of our society has been influenced by religion. all you are is just a hypocrit. if you look back into history: abolition of slavery in the british empire was a CHRISTIAN movement CHRISTIAN's compassion has also led to many healthcare systems of the world. Dionysius, a bishop of the third century, describes an Alexandrian plague where “pagans” cast the sick aside on public roads, half-dead, and then leaving them unburied when they died. In contrast, he tells of Christians visiting the sick, treating them and even dying “most joyfully” in this service. Many freedoms that women have taken for granted such as choosing one's husband was also started by CHRISTIAN movements Christianity has also led to peace in many parts of the world and a reduction of racism, hatred and destruction. You claim that the average christian is an idiot and that christianity is all based on stupid statements and no reasoning.
The Bible teaches that nature is real, not an illusion. It teaches that is has value and that it is good to work with nature. Second, Christianity sanctioned science. Science "was justified as a means of alleviating toil and suffering." With animistic and pantheistic cultures, God and nature were so closely related that man, being a part of nature, was incapable of transcending it, that is, of gaining any real control over it. A Christian world view, however, gave man the freedom to subject nature to his needs-with limitations, of course-because man relates primarily to God who is over nature.
Technology-or science applied-was developed to meet human needs as an expression of our God-given duty to one another. As one historian put it, "the Christian concept of moral obligation played an important role in attracting people to the study of nature." You can’t also deny that some of the world’s greatest and most influencial scientists are devout Christians such as Isaac Newton, Copernicus, francis bacon, kepler, galilei, Descartes, boyle, mendel, Kelvin and many others.
Even other scientists who didn’t directly believe in god still praised and respected the work of Christian scientists such as Einstein. So basically you believe that Christians are idiots, but you base your whole understanding of how the world functions on them.
Hmmmm… And you also can’t forget that our society and cultural norms, rules and morals were mostly founded on Christian fundamentals. The Vikings provide an example of how the gospel can positively affect a people group. Vikings were fierce plunderers who terrorized the coastlands of Europe. Gradually the teachings of Christ contributed to major changes in these people. In 1020 A.D., Christianity became law under King Olav. Practices "such as blood sacrifice, black magic, the 'setting out' of infants, slavery and polygamy" became illegal.
Christians have also helped so many people and established many of the hospitals which you go to to get treatment. In 325 A.D., the Council of Nicea "decreed that hospitals were to be duly established wherever the Church was established," The hospital built by St. Basil of Caesarea in 370 even treated lepers who previously had been isolated. Therefore, your deriding of Christianity as being detrimental is either tremendously biased or you are completely ignorant of history. I am able to show you hard facts and evidence. What do you do with your atheism, YOU GUYS ARE IDIOTS. HAH. And stop bashing religion, it is our choice to follow what we believe in. Take your antireligious QQ somewhere else.
I am also not saying that christianity has been the sole contributing influence in the world. The contributions of the different religions around the world have also played a great part in our world's upbringing and have also led to civilization and peace. You name the few examples of hatred, racism in the world and blame it on religion, but you fail to include all the acts of kindness and peace which are not documented.The acts of violence are by extremists, not the average christian.Christians are taught to help anonymously, to get no reward or praise in return, so thats why you don't see examples of their kindness. If you had read the bible, or knew of every single good deed and contribution religion and christianity has done for our world then you are allowed to criticize it openly. But you dont, so you have no write to call us ignorant violent idiots.
If you go to http://richarddawkins.net/article,3653,n,n
a commentary by richard dawkins, easily the world's most famous atheist. He says that it is "atheists" like you are the reason why atheists are the most hated religious group in america.
Keyword = religious group.
"The reality is that an atheist is not someone who is morally rudderless, who wants to eradicate all religion, who is “angry at God,” who worships Richard Dawkins or who is even certain of the nonexistence of a god."
Basically, "They do not believe in a god or gods. "
So stop your fuckin bible bashing and stfu. "

Click here for whole debate, I don't think the link would work though.

Alright guys, I was stomped by that guy's words. Anyone of can perhaps outsmart him?

Messages In This Thread
Outsmarted by a Christian, need help to contradict - by poc243 - March 17, 2009 at 11:02 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some help. mrunk1975 31 3148 September 25, 2021 at 9:12 am
Last Post: GUBU
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87853 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  I need ONE good Christian... Gawdzilla Sama 31 2243 February 21, 2020 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  former Christians here? i need help with a research mcolafson 3 1262 August 29, 2016 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Hi, I'm a Christian. Help Me Disprove My Religion! WishfulThinking 265 59565 October 11, 2015 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Need Advice w/ Christian Friend DeadChannel 23 5267 August 8, 2015 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  I'm afraid of being agnostic, I need help TaosFlower 75 11269 January 7, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
Smile I Need A Sincere Christian Response Please ShaMan 58 12097 August 1, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Looking for another Christian to bash (only the sincere need apply). Whateverist 0 1040 July 28, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7346 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM