Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello atheistforum
RE: Hello atheistforum
(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: Well, it's been my experience that God is more than willing to provide that evidence.

I don't doubt your experience. It's just that I don't doubt similar experiences reported by followers of other religions and note that it seems to be the believing that matters rather than what exactly is believed in.

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: It doesn't seem like you ever got to know God personally in your Christian upbringing, that you weren't born again. Would say that is accurate?

I know the idea that someone can come from where you are to where I am can be hard to wrap your head around. I would probably have thought the same thing if there was an internet to argue with atheists on when I was a Pentecostal. However, I was a Bible-believing, born-again soldier of Christ filled with the Holy Spirit as evidenced by speaking in tongues. My devotion inspired to read the entire Bible. So I don't think your impression is accurate.

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: Many people have imaginary friends and it doesn't lead to any positive changes in their lives.

You're assuming what you are trying to prove.

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: You can arrange it for yourself by asking God to come into your life, to forgive you for sins and repent of them, and accepting Him as Lord and Savior.

I really can't think of any positive changes in my life that I really need. Being Pentecostal became very disturbing due to cognitive dissonance, and made me a bit neurotic, but I've found rational skepticism and humanism very calming. I don't smoke, only drink socially and only enough to be polite, I'm sexually faithful, I tutor refugee children, I have a pretty good job, I even belong to a religious community (Unitarian Universalism). In fact the longer I've been an atheist, the better my life has gotten. I know correlation doesn't equal causation; but I think a lot of my problems were related to my strict religious upbringing, and as I become freer, my life gets better. For instance, I've gone from shyness and social awkwardness to being a community leader of sorts.

If I did feel the need to change my life, I would research the scientific evidence on doing so and select an appropriate method that doesn't require me to accept doctrines contrary to reality. I care very much whether what I believe is true or not, so I can't just shop around for the belief that makes the bestest promises.

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: So, if knew Jesus was God you would be a Christian?

If I knew (or even thought) there was a God, I would be a theist. If I was a theist and knew Jesus really existed (I'm not a Jesus Myth guy, but I don't put the historicity of Jesus as nearly certain), was more than an apocalyptic preacher, was more than a prophet, and was actually God incarnate, I would be a Christian. I suppose God would be able to address my reservations, or perhaps erase them, if in contact with me.

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: Satan doesn't cause anyone to sin; he isn't responsible for what human beings do. He just offers them a road, but it is the person who decides to take it.

If Satan starts religions and people are born and raised in those religions, it seems rather disengenuous to put all the blame on the people for following the wrong religion. Doesn't it seem like you get an unfair advantage being in a culture where the correct religion is predominant and you don't have to break ties with your family or break the law to join it? That's far from a level playing field.

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: People are willing to die for what they believe in, if they believe it.

I've rarely seen a sentence that needed to be said less.

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: If they don't actually believe it, as in your conspiracy theory

Is this a favorite tactic of yours, I say it's not a conspiracy and you keep saying it is because that would be more convenient to your position?

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: they are not going to be willing to die for it. I'm counting Matthias, yes.

Was Matthias a witness to the Resurrection? And was Judas not an Apostle? It's just a nit, it's equally impressive if 10 of the 12 original apostles died for their belief in the resurrection, plus Matthias. I don't doubt that if the Church tradition of their martyrdom is correct, that they sincerely believed in some sort of Resurrection. Did they personally witness it? The earliest copy of the earliest Gospel (Mark), is missing the last twelve verses describing the Resurrection scene. There is evidence that many early Christians regarded the Resurrection as a spiritual one.

An example in modern history is the Rastafarian religion, which regarded Haile Selassie I, emperor of Ethiopia, as the resurrected Christ and incarnation of God. When Selassie died, Rastas either believed he had actually gone into seclusion and will return to vanquish all evil; or that his death was a spiritual ascension and Selassie is now omnipresent in the universe.

There are plenty of examples of how people will retain their religious faith in the face of the objects of their worship not being as divine as they were supposed to be. Many redouble their faith, seeing it as a virtue to believe despite contrary evidence. No conspiracy is needed, just a strong desire to believe.

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: You are contending a conspiracy when you say that the apostles didn't believe Jesus was raised from the dead.

Can you point out where I said that? If you can't, can you examine your thoughts to determine why it is you believe I did?

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: You are saying basically that they pretended He did and wrote down a bunch of lies to keep the religion going.

Not at all. I'm saying they didn't see Jesus rise from the dead, or if they did, they were mistaken (revived from a coma, wounds weren't fatal). I don't doubt their sincerity, I doubt their skepticism. I somewhat doubt the martyrdom accounts, as verification outside the Christian community is hard to come by, but I don't find them terribly implausible.

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: Some dates place the gospels and epistles within 20 years of the resurrection, and who says there weren't any other writings.

Maybe there were. And maybe some of them documented that Jesus was actually the son of a Roman citizen. You can maybe anything.

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: It's not as if our documentation from that period is complete. Historians have lost track of entire civilizations. We wouldn't have even known about the Hittite empire if it wasn't for its mention in scripture.

Of course the documentation is incomplete. However it makes no sense to base our conclusions on what we don't have.

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: The church at that time was composed mostly of direct witnesses of Jesus Christ, both when He was alive and when He was resurrected. It doesn't make any sense that these people would martyr themselves for what they knew wasn't true, or that this truth couldn't easily be verified by direct witnesses. The apostles, who were in the position to know everything, died for their belief in Jesus. Either what they wrote was lies which makes no sense or they wrote what they believed is true and died for those beliefs.

You're pretty much supplying the 'didn't believe' side of the argument on your own. People 200 years ago, let alone 2000, couldn't be relied upon to accurately determine death. History is full of horror stories of people accidentally buried alive. The Bible itself reports that the Romans were concerned the disciples would try to steal the body of Jesus. Paul is supposed to have met Jesus on the way to Damascus, but only as a vision. Maybe the disciples only had a vision, too. It would certainly explain why all the dead people walking around Jerusalem didn't make 'the news'. The point is, there are multiple alternative possibilities to Jesus actually resurrecting that still don't require the disciples to believe it was a lie.

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: Well, you have a much different perspective on the evidence than I do. I could give you 10 young earth dating methods to every one you have showing an old earth.

Possibly. The difference is that I would be applying the one I am using correctly. Different dating methods are more or less accurate for dating different things and those differences and the reasons for them are well-understood by the people who use them professionally and whose only interest is determining the correct age of what their measuring.

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: Life having common genetics indicates a common designer, especially since the genetics show a mosaic and not a branching pattern.

You are entirely mistaken about the genetics not showing a branching pattern. It's more like a bush than a tree, but it definitely branches and is structured in nested hierarchies, as predicted by the theory of biological evolution. And if you postulate a designer, we are entitled to make inferences about that designer based on the designs, which indicates wastefulness (perhaps 99.9% of all species that ever existed are extinct); a limited imagination and budget (the reason human designers use the same design basics is that they have to build on previous work and it takes a lot of effort to come up with novel ways of doing things, they have to husband their resources and not come up with new techniques for each individual project); and clearly there was a committee involved, the members of which did not always agree on direction, varied in competence, and at least one of which really liked beetles.

(February 11, 2012 at 5:49 am)brotherlylove Wrote: There is evidence for a global flood, again this is an interpretation of the evidence. Uniformitarianism vs Catastrophism.

Again, part of the miracle of science is that it has led us to value following the evidence to a conclusion, rather than starting with the conclusion and searching for evidence to support it. The latter is profoundly untrustworthy. And this is part of the tragedy of fundamentalism: it leads otherwise intelligent people to distrust science and scientists. And, unlike the case with the disciples dying for their sincere beliefs in the Resurrection while being factually mistaken about it or understanding it differently from modern fundamentalists; it actually would take a vast conspiracy such that only a tiny percentage of scientists who happen to be religious fundamentalists find the young earth theory that happens to fit their religion more plausible than the old earth theory that the vast majority of their colleagues accept and for which they could get a Nobel Prize if it could be successfully overturned. In science, you are rewarded for proving theories wrong, and the bigger the theory, the bigger the reward for disproving it.

Now I don't have a problem supposing Mesopotamia experienced floods that someone who survived it might think covered the whole world. The physics alone of covering the earth with liquid water preclude it from serious consideration. Now if you want to think there was a global flood and God took care of the evidence with his omnipotence because he is cagey like that, just like he 'must have' made the light from galaxies billions of light years away already in transit when he created the universe less than ten thousand years ago so we could wonder how we're seeing light that would have taken billions of years to get here when creation was practially yesterday. That's really okay with me if you keep it a matter of private faith. I believe strongly in freedom of thought, and by extension, freedom of religion. What you believe is your business as long as you play fair when it comes to convincing people to join you. But you and people like you keep cheapening both science and your faith by trying to make science subordinate to faith and faith something that needs backup from science.

To an extent, I appreciate efforts to undermine established science in the arena designed for it: universities, laboratories, field research, scientific journals, and so forth. If you've got something real, bring it. That's how science advances. As long as it doesn't get into pre-college tax-supported classrooms that other people's children are trying to learn in and the batty little publications that creationists set up so they can say they've been published in a 'scientific' journal don't fool too many people into thinking they're doing real science, I don't mind. People are entitled to their beliefs. They are not, however, entitled to an unopposed campaign to promote their creationism (struck down), creation science (struck down), intelligent design (struck down) or whatever new name for the same old thing they try next to fool people into buying that 'this time it's really science, not just a new suit for our religious beliefs so we can get them taught in government public schools, this time for really, truly!' I can respect someone I disagree with playing under the same rules, even if I lose. I can't respect the tactic of sneaking an agenda in to gain access to other people's children in order to find a way around the rules. I don't believe the Jesus described in the Gospels would be positively impressed with it either. The life you live should be enough testimony for anyone who knows you. Being above reproach is the one thing you can do that is both most likely to draw people to your beliefs and least likely to compromise your integrity as a Christian. I suggest that you can do a lot more to promote your religion if spend your time persuading your fellow Christians to successfully live up to very high moral standards. It's not the atheists emptying the churches. Christians have way more power to drive their children out of the churches than we have to persuade them that belief in God isn't justified. However, I don't think you'll find more fertile ground there than you will among we skeptics.

Messages In This Thread
Hello atheistforum - by brotherlylove - February 2, 2012 at 5:18 pm
RE: Hello atheistforum - by Darwinian - February 2, 2012 at 5:20 pm
RE: Hello atheistforum - by 5thHorseman - February 2, 2012 at 5:23 pm
RE: Hello atheistforum - by brotherlylove - February 2, 2012 at 5:31 pm
RE: Hello atheistforum - by Darwinian - February 2, 2012 at 5:38 pm
RE: Hello atheistforum - by brotherlylove - February 2, 2012 at 6:30 pm
RE: Hello atheistforum - by The Grand Nudger - February 2, 2012 at 6:44 pm
RE: Hello atheistforum - by Ace Otana - February 13, 2012 at 11:00 am
RE: Hello atheistforum - by reverendjeremiah - February 2, 2012 at 5:51 pm
RE: Hello atheistforum - by Faith No More - February 2, 2012 at 5:58 pm
RE: Hello atheistforum - by brotherlylove - February 2, 2012 at 6:34 pm