Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work.
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work.
(March 31, 2012 at 11:40 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:all people who believe in God should be premptively hated on sight.

Hated? You are reading a lot into it.

But people who really believe in an invisible sky-daddy ARE assholes.

And if history has taught us anything it is that they have to be watched.

Reminds me of the one time I went to church with my father as an adult. I sat there politely to start but then they started railing about how important if was to donate for missionary work. I had to ask them why it was so important to them to see the whole world wearing a suit and carrying a bible on Sundays. I told them I didn't see a world of conformity as any improvement. The preacher guy turned to someone in the audience and asked what one should do when they had a snake in their midst. "Watch it!" he said.

I don't really want to watch Christians all that much but I agree we need to keep their fundamentalist influence out of public schools and the government as much as possible. I don't want a war with them either because coerced thought doesn't count for much. For their sake, I'd like to see more of them weed out the superstition from their religious beliefs. If they opt for atheism, cool. If they opt for embracing Christianity in a more enlightened way (i.e., acknowledge the bible is literature with wisdom stories, not a reference book; and there is no objective reason to support their beliefs, just faith), that's cool with me too.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Phil - March 31, 2012 at 4:43 pm
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Nine - March 31, 2012 at 11:22 am
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Nine - March 31, 2012 at 11:37 am
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Nine - March 31, 2012 at 11:55 am
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Nine - March 31, 2012 at 12:21 pm
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Phil - March 31, 2012 at 2:14 pm
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Nine - March 31, 2012 at 4:28 pm
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Phil - March 31, 2012 at 4:55 pm
RE: Insulting & attacking belief doesn't work. - by Whateverist - April 1, 2012 at 2:21 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God doesn't do anything Laura_opened_her_eyes 11 2450 October 16, 2016 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: Whateverist