Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quarter pounder with deity, OP ED.
RE: Quarter pounder with deity, OP ED.
(April 18, 2014 at 8:58 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:If a Muslim and Jew and Hindu and atheist and Mormon and Sikh can all stand in a parking lot and and point to a blue car, and agree the color is blue, that is all I am doing.

A more likely scenario is that members of all these different faiths will point to the car and argue over whether it is cyan, indigo, teal, azure, cobalt or cerulean. Then the violence will ensue.

Except for the atheist who, disgusted with the whole business, will go home for a beer.

Boru

I guess you could argue a little tweak on my part is in order, but yea, I agree, this is why religion needs to be challenged at every turn.

This is the point I was making. Religion only explains our desire to cling to superstition as a gap answer.

Just like we don't use kaleidoscopes to view the stars, religion should not be used to view our human nature or our interactions with each other. Only proper understanding of evolution, including the real science behind why people believe false things, and our evolutionary capability to be both cruel and compassionate, is the proper way. You can understand why people believe false things without accepting the false things people claim.

Thanks for tweaking that for me, and completely agree.

Messages In This Thread
Quarter pounder with deity, OP ED. - by Brian37 - April 18, 2014 at 1:06 pm
RE: Quarter pounder with deity, OP ED. - by *Deidre* - April 18, 2014 at 7:47 pm
RE: Quarter pounder with deity, OP ED. - by Brian37 - April 18, 2014 at 7:55 pm
RE: Quarter pounder with deity, OP ED. - by *Deidre* - April 18, 2014 at 8:28 pm
RE: Quarter pounder with deity, OP ED. - by Brian37 - April 20, 2014 at 10:01 am
RE: Quarter pounder with deity, OP ED. - by Losty - April 18, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mr Deity on Chrisopher Hitchens. Brian37 0 814 April 21, 2013 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Quarter Life (ish?) Edwardo Piet 8 1631 May 22, 2010 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Zen Badger